• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Newton Lake and Pipestone/Jackfish

Heading up for a four day fishing trip with motor permits to get into Basswood June 11th-15th. My major question is do many guys fish Newton Lake on there way into Basswood. We typically run right through it, but it seems like it has some good structure, but I don't think we have ever really fished it. Any advice?

Also do most of you think the typical early June fishing tactics will still be in place for Pipestone/Jackfish? Find the water with some current and you should find the walleyes? Also probably working some of the shallower water areas, instead of the midlake stuff. Typically we fish early July and we fish main lake structure, so this will be a little different for us.

Walleye #1

been thru newton a couple of times, never see anyone fish it. Not to say that it would not be good.

The only place on Newton that I know of that consistently produces walleyes is right below the falls after the portage from Fall Lake. Would seem to me to be some other water that might produce early in the season, but seldom have seen anyone bringing out fishing rods until they hit Pipestone. Would think you'd have better luck with early season tactics that time of June. Typically, I haven't seen solid summer patterns until July. Shorelines, particularly around the islands in the middle of the lake can be good in early June as fish are on the move.

I have fished newton a decent amount and have caught some nice walleyes and pike. Mainly fished the top half closest to Pipestone. Try fishing some of the island points and dropoffs I was catching them here in early may leeches and lindys worked well.

Good Luck it can be a fun lake to fish on if you find the right spot

Gritsnham,

Was it you that borrowed me your portage wheels on Newton last year after mine failed? If it was, Thanks and we owe you a big one.

...that Bwood boat I'm working on will keep that from happening again.

I'm going in on the 10th of june we go every year the first or second week of june. We see people fishing the falls after the second portage and the narrows. We stick to Jackfish bay. How many boats do you have going up?

There will be two boats in our group of guys. Send me an email duke5577.

[email protected]

Lets talk some fishing. I would like to talk to you about Jackfish some more. We love to fish that bay, and spend most of our time as well. I may have some thoughts for you as well.

Walleye #1

Not me leaddog I was there the year before that. People are all very nice along those portages though in my experience.

Yep, you're right most are very friendly and helpful when needed. I try to return the favor whenever possible, though not usually to whom it's owed, but what comes around goes around.

There are always thows that can't seem to give another boat some room. Or leave their boat in the landing while portaging their gear but most of those just need more experience.

Met lots of Colorful Characters, too. Ever run into 'The Finn that Fishes with Sticks?' (Moose landing about 10 yrs back and I don't think it was Finnbay.

Thanks foresure to whoever it was...

Quote:
Moose landing about 10 yrs back and I don't think it was Finnbay.

Not that I recall unless it was sticks of dynamite! gringrin

You gotta ask Maki at Great Outdoors for "the special lure" under the counter to get those! grin

That could be a new thread...

"...just start wid a spool a nylon, put one end down da hole, leave a loop, tye it to a stick then run to da next hole. When da laker take da bait he run out a line and sets da hook on da stick..." had me rolling on the ground laughing with my dogs wondering what the heck was happening.