• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New year same old story...

Croix

The big boats are out on the Croix driving with complete ignorance to the rules that apply on the stretch of Copas, William O'Brian and Marine on St. Croix.

People it is a SLOW NO WAKE ZONE, please slow down!

They are doing it at their own risk...I have seen on a number of occasions boats going full blast only to plow into a sandbar or rocks. LOVED every second of it! laugh

For what It's worth.....2 years ago I was getting checked by one of our conservation officers,and as we were chatting a boat zipped by on plane.I looked at the CO and made a comment about pushing his luck with you being right here! The CO's response was we dont really enforce the no wake rule until memorial day through labor day,It Is a benefit for the conoeist during the busy season.He did say It's an courtious/ethics rule that can and will be enforced If needed at any time of the year.

I have been stopped a couple times over the years for routine checks(lic,fire ext,floatation etc.) Usually this time or during hunting seasons and have been on plane 3 of 4 stops with no questions asked about speed. I will be the first to admit I do get on plane at times but would never stay on the throttle while passing another boat or peoples boats that are tied to docks or shore.

I'm not trying to stir any pot or toss gas on any fire only telling a story of of a time i got checked and the slow no wake rule was brought up In conversation !!

Now I don't mean to rock the boat but...(pun intended)

Technically it is a SLOW SPEED, MINIMAL wake zone:

"at a lesurely speed, less than planing speed, whereby the wake or wash or wash created by the motorboat is minimal" this is from the dam in Taylors Falls to about 1.5 miles north of the High Bridge.

Should they be more respectful? Of course, but a little wake is leagal.

A little wake is not going to hurt no one, but if it says no wake, then don't make a wake. My biggest complaint on the river is the pleasure cruisers with no reguard to the fisherman.

This is taken from the National Park Service website. They are responsible for management of the St Croix upstream of the High Bridge:

Boating Speed Regulations

The area south of the hydroelectric dam in Taylors

Falls/St. Croix Falls to the Arcola Sandbar at the

mouth of the Apple River is designated a slow

speed zone. Motorboats may only create a

minimal wake.

In slow-no wake zones, motorboats are restricted

to the slowest possible speed necessary to maintain

steerage, but in no case greater than five miles per

hour.

There is also a slow-no wake rule pertaining to any

area within 100 feet of all shoreline, including

islands, and within 100 feet of all swimmers.

Here is the link to the National Park Service map:

https://mwrcms.nps.gov/sacn/planyourvisit/upload/St.%20Croix%20Map%205%202009.pdf

Minimal wake is not ripping up and down the river at 30mph!!! That is the point I am trying to make, plus most areas of the river it is nearly impossible to be further then 100ft from any shoreline due to the way the river creates large sand bars and deep channels in this stretch. I have fished this stretch of river for 21 years and can navigate the river at any level in my sleep, and know there are many areas where it is impossible to navigate further then 100ft from shore.

Oh and if your going by a sand bar, there is a good chance it has swimmers present, hmmmm that makes nearly every stretch of the river a slow no wake zone...

I don't care if you are out there in a bigger fishing boat, just obey the regulations and have atleast a little bit of respect.

If the CO's are not going to enforce then how bout they change the regs. It takes me ~40 minutes to get to one spot a few miles upriver because I follow what I thought were the rules.

Pondhopper, you are doing the right thing. Just follow the rules, that's always your best bet.

Croix I am with you on this. There is a reason there is a slow speed zone up there. I wonder if a person can take a picture of offenders and send to DNR. Or enough people complain maybe enforcement will be ramped up.

Call the St.Croix National Scenic Riverway headquarters in St.Croix Falls. I did and they know of the problem and there will be enforcement out this weekend. The guy I talked to transferred me to enforcement but I was not able to talk to him as he was out in the field.

Problem is these people know they are breaking the law and catching them in the act by enforcement is hard.

Croix I am with you on this. There is a reason there is a slow speed zone up there. I wonder if a person can take a picture of offenders and send to DNR. Or enough people complain maybe enforcement will be ramped up.

Call the St.Croix National Scenic Riverway headquarters in St.Croix Falls. I did and they know of the problem and there will be enforcement out this weekend. The guy I talked to transferred me to enforcement but I was not able to talk to him as he was out in the field.

Problem is these people know they are breaking the law and catching them in the act by enforcement is hard.

Thanks, good to hear there are others concerned. Time to give the Riverway Headquarters another call...