• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

A drive to the lakes in the area, Blackduck and several of the smaller area lakes, show all open water! What a difference between this year and last year at this time; last year there was still ice on the lake up until three days before opener so we are definitely ahead of that this year. So time to get the boat out and get it ready to roll. Now to just get some warmer weather and maybe be able to get some panfishing in.

Has there been anyone hitting up the smaller lakes for panfish yet or are things kind of slow right now?

Have you heard if Island Lake (Northome) is open yet? Planning to go up to the cabin and get the dock and boat lift in this weekend. Last year it was still ice so it didn't work very well putting the dock in. LOL.

We drove by several lakes today and didn't see any boats out on any of them. Looked like the water level was up on the duck. But today is kinda a dreary day and a chance of rain in the forecast, so not surprised about not seeing any boats out today. Didn't drive over to Island this week..Woodman, does your dad know if Island is opened up all the way? But the lakes we checked were all the way open earlier in the week, which is two weeks earlier than last year.

Thanks Drake. I emailed someone on the lake so should know later also. We are heading up either way but it would be nice to get stuff done before opener.

I got an email from a guy who lives on the lake and there are just some ice junks floating around. No problem in getting the docks in I was told, except for leaky waders laugh

Hopefully all will go smooth for you putting the docks in. Just saw the weather channel and it showed Saturday "Rain and snow showers in the morning. A shower or two in the afternoon - otherwise, mostly cloudy. High 51F. Winds WNW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precip 30%"; but Sunday is sunny and in the upper 50's.

The dock and boat lift is in. It was chilly and windy on Saturday but no waves went over the waders. The water levels are very high, I would say approaching all time high levels. The first summer we had the land was 1999 and the water was high then. It is now just a little bit higher. You definately had a bunch of snow up there this year.

I have a group of 5 coming up for the opener and staying at Drake for 5 days. Hoping for a successful week of Walleyes, Crappies, Trout, and big northerns on Upper Red. None of us have been up in the Blackduck area since 2002. We did well in 2001 on the duck and Benjamin, but 02 was not as kind (warm weather, little action). We were glad to see the eyes are open on Upper Red, but heard Blackduck has not been as productive. Any advice or changes to boat launches we need to be aware of? Any word on Crappies moving in to the shallows yet? Water temp on the Duck? We are anxious to hit the water and wet a line. Looking forward to a great week!

The duck will be full of the 14-16 inch eye's since we caught lots of them this winter out there. The crappies are there, but hard to find, but with the water temp warming up to ideal spawning temp you may be right on the money for searching for them. Find a dark bottom bay and slip bobber for them. Eye's will be on the first break as close to the rivers as you can find. I would not be hesitant to fish in the 4 ft depth on opener due to the water temp. Hook up with some shinners and hold on. Blackduck is an awsome lake and is loaded with fish. Maybe you will tie into one of the famous sheep head and reall get your heart pounding.

You are living the dream fishing for the first 5 days. Opener can be full of people but is fun.

Woodman,

Thanks for the advice. I just hope we pull in a few each day. 3 of the 5 are new to Walleye fishing and need all the help we can give them. I know we can get them an easy pike or two, but getting the feel for jigging will be fun watching. We tend to talk a little trash, so I expect to have a great time. I remember limiting out on the opener early and having to go for other species in the afternoon. I hope we do well, if not, I know I will be donating to the poker fund...that is where they will get their revenge after a long day of my harrassment!

since you are staying at the drake, have Diane or Mike tell you where my honey hole is. The only requirement is that you have them email me with a report. A hint is 10 foot bar, they will know what I am talking about! South side, and use slip bobbers when you find them! Deadly spot and lots of fun. People will troll by not knowing what you are sitting on until they troll through your bobbers and watch them look at their graph and hit MARK! Happens every time I am out there and I laugh every time. grin When you leave they will anchor where you are! We are heading to Federal Dam as usual and looking so forward to it. All packed and the camper only needs to be hooked up. Fishing the river with 8 different families. Kinda tradition now and what a great time. Loo to the left that is from that spot!

Good luck!