• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Good morning,

I'm fishing for some hints and tips, no pun intended, on what's been working on catching crappies. Sunday I'm entered in a crappie contest in Mankato on Lake Washington and haven't had the proper time on the water to trial and error new lures and baits. I'm usually a sucker for trying the lastest and greatest just to see if it works any better, but with Sunday closing down very quickly I won't have time. So if anyone is willing to share lures and FOW that have been working for them I would greatly appreciate it. Happy fishing everyone!

you're asking for information from anglers who are probably competing in the tournament....

I'm not asking for your secret spot or technique. My buddy and I just like to get out there and have a couple beers and "try" and catch some fish. I was just hoping for some suggestions on what's been working. Even if you disclosed the best lure in the world, there's still a lot missing like location, speed, presentation, depth, color, etc. I was just looking for tips on eliminating the variables.

I could give you some info on what's happening on some of the other lakes in the area but Washington is by no means my specialty.

yea i like how alot of anglers think that if they caught fish they cant tell anyone what they used or where. i personally if someone asks me at the landing as im leaving i tell them what worked for me as i would like them to do for me... anyway i was out on washington last week, bakers bay was horrible for me couldnt buy a bite. the bay straight out in front of west wood had some big crappies they were tough to catch tho. go there and try some different jigs and what not there was no ONE rig that would catch fish for me. good luck let me know how you do!

Please show restraint if they are "on the feed", with a 100 tourny boats plus regular traffic we all need to keep the future in mind.

yea i like how alot of anglers think that if they caught fish they cant tell anyone what they used or where. i personally if someone asks me at the landing as im leaving i tell them what worked for me as i would like them to do for me...

Don't get me wrong, I would say I'm the same way. If I pass an angler I enjoy discussing how we did and what worked. What I don't support is posting specific details on the internet for everyone to read. Its not like I think my 'hot spot' is going to get stomped on by waves of people, I just feel a guy needs to get out and do a little homework himself.

Isn't that what this forum is for? To share trials and tribulations during your fishing experience. I would hope that each of us is trying to help each other out, rather than keeping our successes and failures to ourselves so other people don't have to repeat what others have learned. Wouldn't this be referred to as evolution?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to argue about details, all I was asking for was a little help. I guess I'll figure it out on Sunday, or maybe I won't. Either way I'll have fun doing it.

Quote:
Isn't that what this forum is for? To share trials and tribulations during your fishing experience. I would hope that each of us is trying to help each other out, rather than keeping our successes and failures to ourselves so other people don't have to repeat what others have learned. Wouldn't this be referred to as evolution?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to argue about details, all I was asking for was a little help. I guess I'll figure it out on Sunday, or maybe I won't. Either way I'll have fun doing it.

You shoud read the Bass forum. The tournament fishermen there talk about anything but how to catch Bass. Sunglasses, shoes, my new boat, my new reel, my new rod and wait for someone else to say something about how to catch fish. I know you would have to agree with me wouldn't you Katoguy?

I don't listen about the how to's on a fishing forum! The fun of fishing is to go out and figure things out on your own. IMHO

Experience will come and it is the best teacher. Fishing contests greatly increase your learning curve.

I prefer the information on "what is the best flipping rod","where do you mount a HB SI ducer", or "recommend the best sunglasses" much more than how to troll a salmo! I try never to divulge a hot or cool bite.

Muddog, I didn't mean that to sound defensive. I do frequent that forum, and you are correct that there isn't much "catching" specifics given there to often. (Which I think is a good thing.)

I was just pulling your chain. I didn't mean to offend you.

I would think that if "how much is it worth' doesn't go here, sunglasses wouldn't go under Bass.

I could give you some info on what's happening on some of the other lakes in the area but Washington is by no means my specialty.

Those arnt the words after that prairie fire...I even got your GPS quards! HA! laugh

Good morning,

I'm fishing for some hints and tips, no pun intended, on what's been working on catching crappies. Sunday I'm entered in a crappie contest in Mankato on Lake Washington and haven't had the proper time on the water to trial and error new lures and baits. I'm usually a sucker for trying the lastest and greatest just to see if it works any better, but with Sunday closing down very quickly I won't have time. So if anyone is willing to share lures and FOW that have been working for them I would greatly appreciate it. Happy fishing everyone!

Birken, welcome to FM. Feel free to send me an e-mail; [email protected].

Thanks for YOUR help. I appreciate any help you're willing offer up. While I agree that being on the water and learning what's working IS the best approach, I have moved away from Mankato and try to head back for this tourney to reunite with old fishing friends. So while we both love to fish and have "some" crappie knowledge it always helps to talk to locals who are able to fish a couple times a week.

I guess I had a different understanding of what this forum was supposed to offer in helpful and useful information.

Not to be rude but this site provides plenty of help with tactics and general knowledge. Most everyone one is willing to help on here and I have yet to me someone I haven't liked. People shouldn't expect to join this forum and expect to be given waypoints and hot bite information. But pointing someone in the right direction is totally differnet and that is what people do for each other on this forum. grin

To be honest with you Birken, crappies and their movemants are very,very hard to track this time of year. What's working one day will be completely out the window the next. It's all very weather/water temp dependant. So, where the crappies may be today and what's getting them to bite now...may be yesterday's news come this weekend. Good luck in the tourny...I'm sure you'll find something to work for them.

Washington has been slow starting out for me this year. I have had good luck on area lakes when the weather is warm in 1'-3' of water, but not on Washington. On Washington the fish I have found during the day have been in 11'-13' and later in the day they have moved up into 8'-9' of water. Throw everything you have at them, because I have not found one thing that is working better than others. Good Luck. Its good to know there is a tournament out there this weekend. It will be a good place to stay away from.

There you go. If your fishing Sunday get out there Saturday see where they are fishing and try to get a look at what is being used.

As Katoguy said get out there and see what is going on. What we tell you now will just be old news Sunday.

Thanks for YOUR help. I appreciate any help you're willing offer up. While I agree that being on the water and learning what's working IS the best approach, I have moved away from Mankato and try to head back for this tourney to reunite with old fishing friends. So while we both love to fish and have "some" crappie knowledge it always helps to talk to locals who are able to fish a couple times a week.

I guess I had a different understanding of what this forum was supposed to offer in helpful and useful information.

Birken, I responded to your e-mail. Good luck.

It's been a few years, but in the past we have done well this time of year drifting the flats between the Narrows and Bakers bay in that 12-14' range with Flu-flu jigs and minnows. Not much help but maybe they'll be there again.

Good luck on Sunday!