• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

so what is the exact rule on this? im guessing its always been the same but i wanna hear some input on what you other guys think. so the regulation handbook states for everyperson in the boat there should be at least one floatation device for the individual. now i have 3 throw cushions in my boat. yes they are considered floatation devices but i dont think they count them as one for the individual. i believe for every person in the boat there should be a life vest that buckles to your body. correct me if im wrong? if thats the case i guess ill have to admit that i was breaking the rules for a while?

I believe there has to be only one throw cushion in the boat. There has to be a life jacket for everyone in the boat. That's my understanding of the rule.

Yes, you have been breaking the rules. The following is from the Boating Regs book:

On all boats (except a sailboard) regardless of length (including canoes, kayaks and duck boats),

there must be a readily accessible U.S. Coast Guard

approved Type I, II, III or V wearable PFD (life jacket)

for each person on board. Type IV throwable devices,

such as buoyant cushions, are no longer

acceptable primary lifesaving devices.

IN ADDITION, on boats 16 feet or longer (except

canoes and kayaks) there must also be at

least one U.S. Coast Guard approved Type IV throwable

device, such as a buoyant cushion or ring

buoy immediately available for each boat.

The law does not state that PFDs must be worn,

only that they are readily accessible except for

personal watercraft (Wave Runners, Jet Skis, etc.)

and children under 10.

okay i guess ill have to get out and get a few. so what u mean by readily accessible means they must be out and not stored away in compartments on your boat correct?

EXACTLY, we received a warning from a CO for having them in the compartments a couple years back.

i think its kinda ridiculous as well. where i fish u might run into a CO like maybe twice a year but u just never know where ull run into them. most people know how to swim so i think that rule is a little overboard. all it creates is alot more clutter in your boat along with everything esle like tackle boxes, fishing rods, minnow bucket, etc.etc.

To be "readily accessible" they shouldn't be in the plastic bag still.

And they should fit the person. If you weigh 400 bones, make sure you have the size XXXXL!

There is one way to reduce the clutter - and that's by wearing it. wink Personally, I prefer mine close at at hand. I can't tread water and can swim maybe about 30 feet. blush

Plus it's hard to swim if you've been knocked out by some trauma such as a boat collision....

I keep mine pulled over the back of my seat and I have the throw device under my seat with the pedestal through one of the straps to keep it from flying away. I did just put new seats in the boat so I may need to come up with something new.

sounds like u got the right idea muddog. i use to just sit on it when i had my old boat cause it was just a plywood bench seat and it provided a little bit of cushion. and i dont know how often people would hit one another with a boat. u see them comming a mile away if u know what i mean so the chances of colliding with another boat are slim to none.

anyone ever try to swim with clothes and shoes on? its not that easy. Ideally everyone should wear life jackets, not saying that I do all the time, but I usually have it around the seat so its readily accessible.

and i dont know how often people would hit one another with a boat. u see them comming a mile away if u know what i mean so the chances of colliding with another boat are slim to none.

Unfortunately boating accidents and colissions do happen.

Originally Posted By: smalltownboi2008
and i dont know how often people would hit one another with a boat. u see them comming a mile away if u know what i mean so the chances of colliding with another boat are slim to none.

Unfortunately boating accidents and colissions do happen.

Last year I was out on Madison one evening and a large boat with some teenagers in it ran a little fishing boat right over. Destroyed the smaller boat and the guys in it had to swim to safety.

Now if the had not been wearing life jackets that could of gotten ugly. That right there shows me it can happen. And unless you wanna prove Darwins theory right I would keep one close at hand.

I was out there that same night PDOGG. Scary...if I remember right, the kids took off too, not even helping the ones they ran over. Cops eventually caught up to them in town. It happens more often than we may think.

yes sir, keep them life jackets close by. I got ticketed last year without a jacket in a canoe on a lake no deeper than 3ft...I'm 6'6", shouldn't drown, but it's the law. $113

I got ticketed last year without a jacket in a canoe on a lake no deeper than 3ft...I'm 6'6", shouldn't drown, but it's the law. $113

Ouch, that had to hurt.

i had a CO come up to me last year when i was fishing in the narrows on madison lake and i was by myself and he only checked to see if i had a fishing license on me the was valid and i did and he went on and continued his business. he never checked if i had anything esle in my boat such as life jackets, fire extinguisher, fish in the livewell, etc.

Originally Posted By: TruthWalleyes
I got ticketed last year without a jacket in a canoe on a lake no deeper than 3ft...I'm 6'6", shouldn't drown, but it's the law. $113

Ouch, that had to hurt.

Yes sir it did! Lesson learned

If you fall in the water with the temps that they are you most likely won't make it to shore swimming without a life jacket. Trust me I know. Hypothermia will set in pretty fast with 50 degree water temps. The law is there to keep you alive pure and simple.

Don't forget about Arctic Armor. This product is the real deal and can be purchased right here on FM by visiting The Outdoor Pro Store or through Pro Fishing Supply in Waconia, MN.

More people drown by falling in while taking a pee. So be careful when drinking and peeing with the cold water.

Don't forget about Arctic Armor. This product is the real deal and can be purchased right here on FM by visiting The Outdoor Pro Store or through Pro Fishing Supply in Waconia, MN.

TO, does Artic Armor count as your floatation device or will you still need enough life jackets for everyone?

I was also on Madison the night of that collision, scary stuff!

More people drown by falling in while taking a pee. So be careful when drinking and peeing with the cold water.

i know your being serious and stuff and i understand how that could happen but sad to say if that was my brother or friend or whatever and that happened while i was there to witness it that would be extememly funny lol. but in the cold i know its a different story but im talking about if it happened in the summer and 90 degrees out.

i know what u meant and i understand. that would not be a good thing. but if it was a joke on the otherhand it would still be pretty funny to see...

Oh come on, who hasn't fallen/been pushed in the water while peeing...usually only in the summer tho!

Everyone should get a boating manual to keep up on rules. I get one every year to see if things change. Also keep a fishing rule book in tackle box and boat for all the different lake rules. When motoring around the lake I always put life jacket on.