• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sturgeon Report Apr 24-25

Well since I wasn't able to join in on the fun for the sturgeon excursion, a few friends came up from Nebraska for a weekend stay at Schusters this last weekend with me.

We dropped anchor around 9:30 am on Friday after traveling from Bemidji and it didn't take long to get the ball rolling. I quickly boated 2 small ones when Chris set into a solid fish within the first half hour of fishing. After 35 minutes he landed his personal best at 61"!

sturgeon2009004.jpg

Shortly after this fish was boated, he hooked into another one that hung under the boat for several minutes before heading downstream spooling 200 yds of 50 lb braid off his 5500 Abu, leaving our boat in udder disbelief... You hear stories about it, but never really expect it to happen, at least not that fast...

We caught fish on and off throughout the day never leaving our spot. We had multiple doubles both Friday & Sat

Here's a low 50 and mid 30.

sturgeon2009018.jpg

After a quick dinner & checking in to Scusters, we headed back out for the evening bite to the exact same spot.

We landed 4 over 50 Fri evening.

sturgeon2009024.jpg

sturgeon2009026.jpg

By about 11pm, we were sore & tired so decided to end day one (even though the fish were still biting)

The tally for the first day was 25 fish boated! Myself with 13, Levi with 3, and Chris with 9.

Day 2 started off slow with the east breeze, but after 1/2 hour getting the anchor right back on the spot, we waited them out and were rewarded with another personal best for Levi at 57 1/4"

sturgeon2009028.jpg

The overall size was down on Sat, but we caught a lot of fish again. The evening bite only yielded 6 sturgeon - and not nearly the quality of the night before.

Believe it or not, we boated another 25 fish on Sat for a 2 day total of 50 fish!

The final tally was myself at 21 fish - largest 51 3/4"

Chris with 18 - largest 61", and Levi with 11 - largest 57 1/4"

I used my lakemaster to find a small secondary break in 33 fow that seemed to have fish piled on top of it. We had many people come and go fishing within 20 feet of us that couldn't connect with any.

We had to use 8 oz of weight to stay on the bottom. We saw lots of guys using less and they weren't boating fish (there is no way they were keeping the bait down with only 3-4 oz of weight & the debris). Also the bites were light - most were caught while holding the poles - if they were in the rod holder the fish were gone by the time you could set the hook.

Definately the best weekend of sturgeon fishing I have experienced in the 4 years I have fished up there!