• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Winnie has quickly become one of my favorite lakes in MN. I would like to fish it on opener this year but I have heard the crowds can be nuts.

Any tips to keep my sanity? I was thinking that going through a resort might help. Highbanks maybe a good option? What if I get there by seven, is that early enough?

thanks gang

Staying at a resort will save a lot of headaches being you can launch early if you get there the night before. I used to fish Winnie on opener for several years and grew tired of the crowds at the ramp and on the water. I've been there at 4am and had to wait and a long walk from the truck. It's just part of the game when fishing this lake but the rewards are often worth it!

I can't speak to the crowds at the landing, but there is no need to fish around the crowds on the lake. There are fish on pretty much every shallow break on the lake on opener.

I agree with 777 winnie is 70k acres I dont have troulbe finding my own fish

Ya i dont hafta worry bout the landing my boat will be just a purring waitin for me sat morn lol

probably stay right in the cutfoot

after seeing all those fish yesterday they should be on their way back out

If you dont want to get to the landing at 3-4 in the morning and you want to beat the crowds go to a resort and land it cost a bit but well worth the headache. high banks is good northaland is good williams narrows is good

Jason

make sure your ready 2 go before u get 2 the landing make sure your motor starts have your equipment in the boat rods bait clothes etc just little stuff helps the landings run smoothly

• 2 weeks later...

We decided not to brave the early crowds and cold on opener, so we slept in and hit the water around 12:30 p.m.. We boated 15 eyes over the afternoon, 5 keepers, the rest were slot fish. My brother accidently, "stripped", a jumbo perch while trying to take it off the hook. This gave us good laughs for the afternoon.

Highbanks took good care of us, I think this will be an opener tradition. Thanks for the help gang.