• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

It would be interesting to know how many people actually take the time to sit down a read the regulations. It seems like many of the posts on this site are requests for information on laws that are in the '09 Regulations Handbook.

Over the years the Regulations have changed from a fairly simple handout that listed the limits and opening dates to a

79 page booklet with 25 five pages of special regulations for individual lakes. I would love to have a copy of the reg's from say 1970 and compare the two.

I am not suggesting that slots or managing game to the lake level is a bad thing but I do wonder if people do not take the time to read the Reg's or if they are too overwhelming or confusing ?

I often wonder if the posts requesting others interpretation of the Reg's are people looking to understand, people looking for a loophole or people who just don't want to look it up.

I will be the first to admit I do not have the laws memorized but I have a copy of the Regs in my boat, in my tackle box, in my Ice house, on my desk in front of me and a soft copy on the desktop of my laptop.

Paraniod ? Naw I just like to dot the i's and cross the T's. wink

Its not that hard. You read em once and then the next year you read the "what's new" section

It is your responsibility to know the regs for where you are fishing, and i think its a pretty easy one to take care of

I know that a lot of people in violation either A) don't care B) are ignorant/not the brightest bulb and C) are lazy

Or in the case of many Hmong people, probably either unaware they have to have a license or can't read the regs. Didn't I hear they were publishing the regs in Hmong this year? Hope so, that'd be great!

I know I read mine front to back and then again, I don't want to be piched for anything, I'm the guy at the landing taking to long to leave the launch picking weeds off the trailer.

I read em annually. I can't say I know it all, but if something comes up, it rings a bell and I can grab the regs book from my glove box in the boat.

Not much changes every year, but all fishermen/women should read up and keep current. At least have the book handy..when in doubt, look it up.

I read it over several times Opener weekend alone. We usually just shore fish that weekend, and the action can be pretty slow when the 'eyes aren't biting, so it's a great time to sit down and try to memorize as many regulations as you can.

I make sure i'm not doing, or going to be doing anything illegal when i'm fishing...so i read them, mostly focus on "whats new"

yea. What you said.

I sometimes get the feeling that the people who post some of the questions grew up fishing with someone who didn’t follow the rules. Now that they no longer fish with that person or people they are finding out they were breaking the law. I find it so important to know the rules and to make sure that the younger fisherman that are around me know and understand the rules. I’ve always had a hard time containing myself when I see a boat with three generations in it and they are breaking the rule. I just have to look grandpa in the eyes and shake my head.

the rules have changed alot in the last 3 generations muddog so u cant really blame the gpa for everything. but yes i do agree with how people should fish by the rules and have a little integrity that goes along with it.

Quote:
the rules have changed alot in the last 3 generations muddog so u cant really blame the gpa for everything. but yes i do agree with how people should fish by the rules and have a little integrity that goes along with it.

It doesn't matter how much the rules have changed over the years. The first rule is; Know the rules. Other then taking to many fish what I see the most is people fishing with more then one line. I don't think Mn has ever been a Two line open water state.

Quote:

It doesn't matter how much the rules have changed over the years. The first rule is; Know the rules. Other then taking to many fish what I see the most is people fishing with more then one line. I don't think Mn has ever been a Two line open water state.

I have to agree with Muddog here. Although old and set in his way I could never have seen my grandfather breaking these rules or telling anyone else it was alright to do so. So being brought up 3 or 4 generations ago is no excuse!

Mud Dog I agree, Rule number 1 is know the rules or Ignorance of the law is no defense. But probably the most common used.

Signing the license means you understand the rules and agree to abide by them. I have mixed emotions on printing the laws in other languages for resident anglers. I will leave it at that.

OTBW REMEMBER to check for Zebra Mussles at the landings.

If any one has ever seen Alaskas regs ours look like cliff notes! wink

And ours looks like a Mexico City telephone book compared to South Dakotas!!

I must admit, unless I am fishing a new lake, my fishing regulation handbook never gets opened except to check opening and closing dates.

Usually, since I dont keep many fish ever, the only law I ever break is forgeting my life vests in the truck.

But one thing is for sure, when I get on a new lake, the first thing I check is the slots if I plan on keeping any fish.

I read then cover to cover every year, then refreash my memory on the specific items as needed.

I read the "what's new" section and also look for specific lakes regs if I'm going somewhere that I've not fished before. I also double check on the limits possesion and daily and size restrictions every year. I do not read it cover to cover.

~piker

I read it for the most part, except the special regs on specific lakes. Usually I fish the same handful of lakes, and have no need to read an extra 20 pages of information. I always make sure to read the "New Regulations" section though.