• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Humminbird 597 ci Reviews?

I'm looking at a 597ci GPS Combo. Its right at the max of my price range and the only thing I'm worried about is the internal GPS receiver. I will be mounting it on the counsel in a Crestliner Sportfish and I'm wondering if I will have problems getting reception because it will be mounted so close to the windshield. The 700 series has the external GPS receiver and might work better but its a little out of my price range. Do you think I will have problems getting reception because of the windshield?

I'm Do you think I will have problems getting reception because of the windshield?

I'm going to give a little credit to the hummingbird engineers and guess that your windshield won't cause problems getting reception. Your boat isn't the only style with a windshield that will have these units mounted. Hummingbird would be in big trouble if that were not the case.

That said, I've got the 595c with remote GPS so my words are not from experience.

I have the 787 ci with the internal GPS receiver mouted behind my windshield on my 22' offshore and I have a full top and windows and the GPS works perfect.

Only happened once or twice but it took a little longer than normal to get a GPS signal

The 597ci should be fine under your windshield. I occasionally hear of situations where a GPS has problems under a windshield, but in most situations they work great.