• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pelican lake fishing reports - Brainerd Area

I will be heading to Pelican the weekend after opener in search of some walleyes. I have never fished the lake for walleyes so im looking for some pointers. Im not looking for gps coordinates just some help on presentation and what type of structure they relate to that time of year.

Thanks in advance!

Hey Dano how you doing. Talked with your Dad yesterday and we need to plan a weekend at you know where. Check your schedule and let me know whats best.

Also I hear you could give Tiger a run for his money.

G.C.

It really depends on the year. I have found them off the deep brake in 25ft of water and I have also caught them in bunches in 6 ft. of water on the mid lake structure and points. If I am not marking fish on my depth finder, I look more towards the weeds and have tried to work the edges. Once you find the pattern, then you will have pleanty of structure/spots on the lake to go investigate. Pelican always seems to heat up a few weeks after opener. I have had excellent luck bobber fishing at sun down in 6-10 FOW with a medium size leech and a very small jig under the bobber.

like to fish with bobber with leech or minnow. usually on the shoreline drop offs in 6- 20 FOW. Also troll raps towards sundown along the same breaks.

One of the great things about Pelican is that you can use different presentations such as rigging, jigging, bobber, or trolling cranks, and catch fish. I have had success in the early season with all of these. I tend to target shoreline breaks on the south end, but around Weaver's Point and the rock reef on the north end are other good areas early in the season. Don't be afraid to go shallow (2-3 ft) depending on the conditions and especially after dark. Also, check any wind blown shorelines and look for any churned up areas.

Thanks guys that should give me somewhere to start and some options!

Gary, the weekends in May are pretty tied up but june and beyond i will be free and yea ive been playin pretty good golf lately im gonna tryout for st cloud next year i got a decent shot at making it

Anyone have any updates? I am heading up this weekend and hope to get on some fish. All I really need is the depth and presentation that was working the best. Thanks for the help.

Hi TrophyEyes, there are a couple of depths that are producing. 13-16 foot weedlines or deeper fish in 25-32 feet. Jigs or Lindy Rigs and shiners have been the best. I think you can also get a few trolling plugs. Good luck.

Jason Erlandson

Jason, my parents came into the shop on Friday, but you weren't there. The fishing was tough this weekend to say the least. That wind was no fun. We had zero bites all day on Saturday until we connected on a 29" Walleye in 19 FOW. That was our biggest ever on Pelican. Even more impressive is that it was my mom's biggest fish of her life. I guess we can say we were going for quality, not quantity. I did mark a ton of fish in 28FOW in one of the deeper staging areas. I could not get them to bite. I should mention that the Pike were biting on sunday, but no more walleyes. Thanks for the great shinners.

Don't feel bad trophy eyes, I went out Saturday night for a few hours and only got a couple of bites. It was slow. I would've like to get a 29" though!!!

two of us went out for an hour sunday nite and picked up three, 14-19" along a drop off in 20' with shiners and bobbers. Lost one nice one when my nephew didnt have the drag set.

I am planning a trip out to pelican the first week of july, and was wondering if anyone could assist with any helpful information on catching some 'eyes. I understand that pelican is a very very clear lake. With being so clear is the only time to catch these fish at daybreak and at dusk, or can they be caught in the 20-30ft depths during the summer months? Do they still prowl the weeds next to breaks adjacent to deep water this time of year? Any help for trying to land a few of these fish would be great help. Thanks to all in advance.

Hey catchem, you are pretty much on target. Low light conditions are the best, but they can be had during the day. Deep weedlines on the breaks are typically the best for me, with 22' being a good depth to start at.

How was the weekend? Thinking of hitting Pelican for the night bite this weekend. Gull has been good just trying to shake things up. Any luck pulling plugs? Thanks,

I was on Leech this last weekend, so didn't make it out on Pelican, but looking at my past history, this is about the time that pulling shad raps at night really starts heating up. From about the time that the sun goes below the treeline to about an hour past dark seems to be the best. Target 10-12' on top of the breaks. Good luck, I will be on Leech again on Friday and on Gull on Saturday.

Is anyone catching crappies on pelican? I will be up for a day this weekend and would like to take the kids out for some crappie fishing. We will be staying at Breezy point for a day. Any help would be great.

I will be fishing on pelican probably on 6-5-09. I have had good success around Gooseberry island in the past, but usually later in June. Does anyone know if this would be a good area to fish or would the shoreline breaks be better? Also have leeches been working yet or are minnows still the best. Again a little unsure due to going @ 2 weeks earlier than normal. Will give report upon my return. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Coming up to the area next week. How has the walleye bite been? Has morning or evening been better? Any info would be great!

I know mid day aint the right time I was out there on mon. and got lots of pike and some nice bass but no walleyes and that is what i was looking for but the lake was loading up with boats as I was leaveing about 6:30 pm the south end of the lake had boats on most of the hot spots so I would guess it is picking up on pelican I have always had good luck this time of year out there and plan on going back at a more suitable time soon. I have always had better luck in th evenings on pelican good luck and see you on the water

Thanks Kingfish689. I have not been on the lake for a couple of years. The last time we were there it was a great evening bite. They bit from 10:00-12:00 on a jig and leech. But that was the first week of June.