• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

First time fishing Winnie-Advice?

I will be fishing Lake Winnie on the opener. I will be heading out of Highbanks Resort. I have never fished Winnie before. It looks as though I may not have a depth finder with me, only a handheld GPS. I was wondering if anyone could send me a private message with some GPS spots to try out. I am also open to all and any advice for fishing the lake for the first time. Thanks!

-Guy hoping not to get skunked

I have a RV up there I might there might be on mille lacs not sure go where all the boats are there will be all kinds that week end depends on how big your boat is but you are close to good spots go right around the corner to 3 sisters is good

lot of times outa the big blow to fish 8-12 ft along the weeds no dept finder is tuff personally i woudnt go with one

or at least a chip but any way you'll see the boats

jig and minnow

Be careful out on winnie on opener it is going to be crazy. There is one about winnie is that u almost have to go in a clockwise fashion to catch fish during the season when the weather is changing

I will second that. If you are going to get into the group, watch what the group is doing. It is usually a drift through "the spot" and motor back to the top of the hill well outside the group. Please don't troll through "the spot" against the drifting traffic and for god's sake don't drop an anchor in "the spot". It is chaos out there but it is an organized chaos.

Other than the name calling, including expletives, sneers, ogles, jigs/rigs thrown at and bounced off your hull, near hull-to-hull boat collisions, people catching your anchor rope, and, in general, basic disrespect for the others that are also fishing there (most were there LONG before the anchor was thrown in), nothing. smirk

After many years on Winnie I have seen a few "prop checks". One year we even saw a potato gun.

lol thats classic. If you want to have some fun, drop a buouy away from any structure and just close enough to you so you can see it. It is pretty unreal how many boats congregate!

You need to start about 100 yards from the actual fishing spot. Use empty laundry detergent bottles (bright colors work best) and attach decoy weights to them. You will see why after reading this. After a little yelling, high fives and waving a landing net, toss out the "marker". With-in 5 minutes you will have decoyed several boats to this area. After a few boats show up, quietly troll back to where you really want to fish. You can set a time limit and place bets on how many boats you can decoy to the dummy spot. It sounds absolutely ridiculous but it works EVERY time.

The really nutty part about this after about an hour when we go back to collect the marker, someone has stolen it!

One time we used a small weight on a large bottle. The wind slowly moved the jug with the waves and the crowd followed the moving jug for ½ mile.

LMAO! remind me never to follow you. smirklaughlaugh but then again i never did like fishing in crowds. eek

We have done that for years!! As far as the original topic goes, jig and a minnow, anywhere on the west short stucture.

What is really hilarious is that lotsa times people will start catching fish around your marker.

I've seen that happen a few times. Just goes to show you that there are fish all over the place. The key is confidence. IF you believe you are going to catch fish, you more than likely will.

FF7, if you have a chance grab a debth finder. The GPS will help you find some structure but early season the "debth" the fish are at is way more important then any one spot on the whole lake.

As far as the drifting, I have to laugh every year of the boat backtrolling against "traffic" over a ridge. Or the boats in the middle of the gap riding the waves of the boats coming and going off of cutfoot! I have fished Winni enough now I can move around on opener where less boats are. But if you don't move 1/2 mile or more, all the boats will follow if you start to pull in fish smileeek

Totally agree GF4. Depth finder is key. It is especially important when keeping on a break. A lot of times the fish on the entire length of the break but are only active at a certain depth, say 8 ft. If you get into 9, they quit and if you get up into 7 they quit. Keeping your lines in this depth is extremely important. This is why it is also nice to have a trolling motor down while drifting. This way you can move up and down a break while drifting along it.

All this talk is raising anticipation. We finally get to wake up tomorrow and it will be MAY!!!!!!!!! Slowly but surely walleyes will be hitting the jig at the end of my line.

The decoy marker story would be fun to watch.

You guys got me anxious! I'll be there in two weeks...Hopefully it is not as bad then!

I'll be there in two weeks...Hopefully it is not as bad then!

Now, my friend, you are dreamin'!

Nice thing is though, the lake is soooo big, and there are always many, many spots that will yield fish. I'll be there the same time as you (this Wed. through Sun.), good luck.