• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cannon River

Coming from Saint Cloud Area to the Cannon on opener weekend. Putting in east of Cannon Falls ans heading towards the Sip in the canoe. Going to camp overnight somewhere along river Friday night. How are water levels and any info (not spots)on areas to try around this time of year. It will be myself in 1 canoe and 2 buddies in another canoe. Any local info would be appreciated...Thanks

[PoorWordUsage] and i usually catch alot of fish in the river. It is about three feet below normal. In a canoe you will probably be alright anything bigger and you might have problems.

The river is actually really low. I think all this rain we are getting in the next week or so will really help the water levels. I have been fishing the river alot lately and i havent caught anything and i usually catch alot of fish in the river. It is about three feet below normal. In a canoe you will probably be alright anything bigger and you might have problems.

river walker- Stock up on night crawlers, and rapalas. I am a big fan of having a floating rap hang over side of canoe about 10 to 15 feet back while paddling orfloating down the river. seems to work great. Sometimes bright raps are key other times need to go natural colors. Good camping on a few different sandy islands. Should be a good trip if the weather holds for you.

You're right Flathead, This year is a mess. I usually catch alot of fish during this time in my friend's backyard, but nothing this year. Been fishing it since mid April. We do need some heavy rain soon!

I throw white 3" twisters from June till freeze in the deepest pools you can find downstream of Cannon Falls with pretty good success, but never fished it before Memorial Weekend

I usally beach the canoe and fish for about 10-15 minutes per hole and if nothing is there, keep moving down

Been chasing white bass, but no luck these couple of weeks. They're usually here at this time of the year. But maybe the water level has something to do with it, that's why! Man, wish it pours more down in that area, before it's too late.

Any suggestions on put-in/take-out points for a float in a kayak? I'll have a vehicle parked at either end, just looking for a good 2-hour float or so. I'm not familiar with the area, so I need advice on places to park the vehicles. Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks in advance.

You could launch in the city of Cannon Falls by the park on N 4th St, left of highway 19 torwards the river and get off at Welch village by county 7 BLVD. Hopefully the info is helpfull!

Thanks for the reply Johnsville. After looking at an aerial, I think I found a gravel access along the south side of the river, halfway between Cannon Falls and Welch Village, along Sunset Trail. I'm thinking we might shorten the trip a bit and put in there (if possible). Hopefully the river his high enough so we can avoid 'runnin aground'. I'll post a report sometime this weekend, thanks again!

river walker- Stock up on night crawlers, and rapalas. I am a big fan of having a floating rap hang over side of canoe about 10 to 15 feet back while paddling orfloating down the river. seems to work great. Sometimes bright raps are key other times need to go natural colors. Good camping on a few different sandy islands. Should be a good trip if the weather holds for you.

My uncle and I call this "short shad-ing" because we use #5 shad raps up in canada while canoeing down rivers. Absolutely slays the fish. In shallower water a floating rap or a smaller husky jerk work great

easy to avoid snags and keeps a line in the water all the time, even when you're paddling for distance on a river trip

thats a little longer than 2 hr float, more like a day paddle. your sunset trail spot will definetly shorten it. just guessing, but you might like cannon to trout brook would probebly be more in your time line. If its not a beautiful summer day or a weekend/ holiday you could do trout brook to welch. Unless you want to join the crowds of tubers and canoers, and a "change" from normal kayak scenery. and after that you have welch to highway 61 bridge, and 61 to mouth of vermillion river which goes to the mighty mississippi. Good parking in cannon at park; trout brook at dakota county park; also in welch; parking lot/ river access at hwy 61, and other boat launches on down stream on the mississipi or 1 upstream that might be closer on the vermillion. ps I like that name "short shading" may have to use that one.

Thanks for the replies. We ended up leaving a vehicle in Welch, and some locals gave us directions to a put-in spot upstream. We found the parking lot in a county park, and carried the kayaks a short distance to the river. It was an awesome float, and we had the river to ourselves. The river is flowing pretty well, and the water is murky. My GPS read over 8 mph on a few short runs through the faster-moving water. Pretty fun, thanks for the advice!