• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Whats wrong with this blind set-up?

mnhunter2

Just got back from a hunt in nebraska and I had a problem with my double bull blind set-up, I was set up right on the egde of an alalfa field and a 10'strip of grass next to a wooded creek bottum. I had 6 different flocks of turkeys enter the field feed and do turkey stuff and walk in my direction but when they got to within 75yds they would raise there heads look worried and walk off the field into the woods, also had a flock of hens approach from the woods and when I saw the step out into the wood edge they stared at the blind for a few seconds and then walked back into the woods. All these turkeys left worried but not totally spooked because they would return in an hour or so and feed around intill they got about 65-75 yards from the blind and then walk off worried. I tried closing the openings to about 1", no movement, no noise,no glare from my glasses, nothing made any difference. they only idea I have is the green camo contrasted with the tan grass and didn't blend in well. Should I have set-up just inside the wood edge and tried to hide the blind more, any ideas?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Hard to say. I've seen turkeys walk right up to one in the middle of a cut field and practicly look in the window. Then again if something just doesn't seem right a turkey will bail.

A decoy might instill some confidence in them or make them run.

Are you calling from the blind when they are in sight?

Don't know what to say. Like Borch, I've set up in the middle of a field with no problems. Maybe someone hunted that spot before you? Noodle may have the answer, decoys?

Maybe someone hunted that spot before you?

That's what I'm thinking.

In my blind set up, there were two toms working the area and I got one. The second one saw it but not the hens. The following two days another member of my party hunted it.

The second tom would pace around and gobble in the woods above the set up while the hens kept coming back. The tom would simply wait for the hens to come back.

Fortunately for our guy, some jakes came in on the second morning so he could fill his tag.

I have heard many times that turkeys don't care about blinds and you don't have to conceal them at all but I'll still put mine in a spot where it blends if I can.

It could of been your calling. I just got back from Nebraska last night. Every bird that the 3 of us called to, ignored us. They seemed to be nonresponsive to are calling and we tryed everything from aggressive calling to nothing.

Turkeys will become blind shy if someone had hunted the spot before you and spooked the birds by getting caught going into or out of the blind they will wise up in a hurry you either have to abandon the blind or brush it in like you would for whitetails. Another thing is you don't want a window open behind you the birds will be able to see your movement in the blind,facemask and gloves are also a must have.

That's a tough one. My first thought was too many windows open and they saw movement in the blind, but it sounds like you had it pretty well darkened up inside. Go figure...sometimes the fish don't bite no matter what you try!

It could have just been the mood they were in. A few years back it seemes the whole SD season, hens would turn a flock away from calling. Other years she'd bring them right in. Same goes for using dekes. Dress in black if your blind is dark inside like the Doghouse, but I think the DBs I've seen have lighter fabric. And look for anything in the surrounding area that could spook like garbage that may catch a breeze.

Next yr maybe set up closer to where they seemed to want to be anyway.

That's turkey hunting!

Remember these blind rules:

Don't bump/touch the fabric particularly when birds are in sight. Make certain blind fabric is very taught, if it's at all loose it will billow in the slightest breeze and though it may not spook birds it will surely keep them from coming close enough for a shot.

WD