• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Clear Lake Fishing Reports - Gibbon

Whats the story with this lake? I saw that the dnr did some stocking in 2007, i thought they were letting this lake go. Plus I have been seeing a couple of icehouses out there the past couple winters!

You might also want to post this in the Southwest MN Forum as well. Gibbon's in kind of a weird area. Not a lot of lakes and that area's really not well covered by a specific forum.

Doesn't look like they put in a large number of fish really, maybe just had an excess of fry and wanted to take a gamble? In the past it has had some great fishing.

I know there was a fish kill out there last winter (or maybe the winter before) and some very large walleyes washed up on shore.

Clear lake was double stocked, and had very nice fish in it until the winterkill, Man, were there some dandies in that lake. It was a sad day when I saw all those nice Wallys laying on shore. That was 4-5 years ago. (I know riverrat, time flies). It might be a good "sleeper" lake. I haven't fished it for years, but i know there are still bullheads in it. mmmmmmmm....whiskers.

Thanks for setting me straight Pyrex!

I have heard of a few isolated reports of 1 or 2 big walleyes being caught last summer and the summer before, so maybe a number of fish survived?

There were dead walleyes on shore after the winter of 07/08, but I didn't see enough to think it was a total kill.

That was what I was thinking of 88fan, most of them were nice fish too if I remeber right?

Clear is my "home" lake and is a very interesting one too. It had a major winterkill in the winter of 2000-2001 and then was restocked. Fishing was good in 04-05 and has slowly fizzled after that. Two winters ago (07-08) there was a winterkill also, I would say a strong partial kill. Lots of 18-24" eyes washed up dead. I also found a few along the shoreline this year when it opened up, but I would guess it was a very minor winterkill this past year. There are walleyes in there, but it is a very hard lake to fish. Bullheads and carp dominate the lake, and there is a ton of bait(minnows, orange spotted sunfish, etc.) Live Bait fishing is almost impossible with the bullheads and the water is extremely brown/discolored which makes crankbaits even diffulcult to fish.

I will be out there trying it now and then this summer as I have my whole life. Hope this helps and let us know if you try it!

Clear is my "home" lake and is a very interesting one too. It had a major winterkill in the winter of 2000-2001 and then was restocked. Fishing was good in 04-05 and has slowly fizzled after that. Two winters ago (07-08) there was a winterkill also, I would say a strong partial kill. Lots of 18-24" eyes washed up dead. I also found a few along the shoreline this year when it opened up, but I would guess it was a very minor winterkill this past year. There are walleyes in there, but it is a very hard lake to fish. Bullheads and carp dominate the lake, and there is a ton of bait(minnows, orange spotted sunfish, etc.) Live Bait fishing is almost impossible with the bullheads and the water is extremely brown/discolored which makes crankbaits even diffulcult to fish.

I will be out there trying it now and then this summer as I have my whole life. Hope this helps and let us know if you try it!

Great information. If the water doesn't get too low, you'll see me over there once or twice.

• 2 years later...

The last 2 winters hit clear really hard! Tried it a few times this year with out a fish of any kind to show for it.

• 2 months later...

I have fished this lake quite a few times in the past 3 years.

The last few I did pretty good.

Last spring I went to Clear a few days after the opener. I fished for approx 5 hours with no fish. While loading the boat a fellow came over and asked if I caught any fish and I said no, didn't even mark one.

he said with the winter kill this last spring, many eyes were dead on shore all over the lake. Is this true I do not know but I went back one more time, fished my locationg I always did well at and nada.

Have not been back since. last trip there about the 1st of June,2011.

Usmtsrocks

In regards to using cranks in the open water, I have killed the eyes there on crankbaits so yes, they are very effective. One simply needs to find the correct color and size but the eye do go well on cranks on Clear.

I haven't seen one soul out ice fishing Clear this winter and I frequently drive by the lake.

I witnessed the winter kill firsthand this spring. Numerous 15"-17" dead walleyes on shore. I never heard if it was a total winterkill, however.

I would not doubt at all there there are a few fish left. But, it surely is not what it was.

Probably some pigs swimming in this lake, one just has to be willing to spend alot of time to find a few.

There was a minor winter kill last year. The oxygen levels did drop a little and it hurt some. I have seen a couple houses out there this year but they didnt catch anything. I havent tried it yet this year but am gonna try it soon. There are a lot of 8 to 9 inch eyes in there

• 6 years later...

Anyone know how this lake is lately?  Ive read somewhere the DNR did a stocking last year. Would like to know a bit about the lake.  Thinking about hitting it up here soon.