• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Scoot...Ed... anyone w/ good knowledge of the RR and its tribs.

I've been looking to get into some local carp fishing. I've always wanted to go at them w/ my bow, but havn't had the opportunity.

I know the Sheyenne holds the state record for carp, is it a lot better than the Wild Rice?

The bow season opens May 1st. I'm not expecting the water to be low enough by then, but what depths should I wait for before searching? And I don't even know what makes a good carp spot, a dam? not a clue. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dan, two things- I've had good luck looking in places where fresh water is coming into the Red- any trib, culvert, drain, etc. Look in the slack water in the tribs or big ditches coming out of the Red- these can be good. If you have a boat, you can find some great spots where fresh water is coming in after a rain.

The second tip on a year like this is to look for water where fish end up land locked after the levels drop. There will be thousands upon thousands of carp scattered in goofy places in the next few weeks because of falling water levels. Look for pockets of water that are held back after the water drops. I know a couple good spots, but I can't give away details or my brother and his buddy would shoot me!

Calm winds, sun, and good polarized glasses are all your friends. Aim low!!!

Wildrice has some good spots!! I used to shot them at the dam by the Wildrice Bar and Grill. I believe you have to get permission to get down there now.

Where the Rose Creeks goes into the Red River was also a good spot in Fargo.

As soon as the Sheyenne Diversion starts to go down there will be a ton of rough fish all over the place. I used to shot a ton by the Mapleton exit just west of West Fargo.

This is going to sound retarded, but do people actually harvest carp to eat?

Or just trying to clean out some of the rough fish?

When I was young, my grandpa would throw corn off the dock in the early morning, and we used to spear them. But he hated carp, pretty much he always told me we did it to reduce their numbers. I don't ever remember eating them.

everywhere else in the world people harvest carp to eat, in some parts it is considered delicacy. Around here people are typically "cleaning out" the carp, some save a few for the smoker.

Thanks Scoot and Brian. Im not asking for your honey holes, just some direction, I'm familiar with the Red for cats and eyes, but I havn't done much searching for carp. Not to mention what this year is going to be like with the water levels.

I also grew up fishing the red trips up north, and wouldnt mind getting into some pike. Would you recommend the sheyenne or rice, or are they pretty similar?

--> this is NOT a slam towards Carp, I actually plan to prepare

the ones take in different manners such as smoking and frying.

However....

everywhere else in the world people harvest carp to eat, in some parts it is considered delicacy.

There are also people around the world that drink their own urine for medicinal purposes....

that's all I have to say about that.

Most of the pike I have caught in the area is down south on the Red. The dam by Oxbow Ive caught a few and down at Kidder dam in Wahp. Also the dam in north Fargo.

Never caught one in the Sheyenne but have in the Wildrice just south of Fargo!!

There is some big ugly pigs in the river though!!!

Yep, what Brian said. South has been better than North for me. However, I've not found a lot of them in most places. But, there are definitely some biggies in there...

I wish I could find a pic of a 39 incher I caught ice fishing a couple years ago south of Fargo. That was the most ugly, fat northern I have ever seen. It looked like it was 100 years old.

Most of the Norhterns I have caught in the river look a little different. They are either extremely fat or skinny and all head. Even thought they are ugly, every one of them tries their best to pull the rod out of your hands.

LOL Cant give up the honey hole!! Lets say in between those 2 spots you mentioned!! Next to a 25 foot hole. Maybe that will help!! Sorry

haha...that's fine. Im not asking you to walk me there. There's miles of river to cover, but I guess I'll just do some searching, I probably already fished there in the last few years. who knows might find somewhere new...

I bet I know where you were...

O yeah?!? Explain the spot and the surroundings of the area. Then if your right we can tell Dan189. Hows that sound!

Originally Posted By: Scoot
I bet I know where you were...

O yeah?!? Explain the spot and the surroundings of the area. Then if your right we can tell Dan189. Hows that sound!

Nope. I like that spot too, so I'll just keep a lid on it. Not positive I know which one you're referring to, but I've got a good guess. I can guarentee I've fished it before though- I've hit every spot that fits that general description between Fargo and Hickson at one time or another! However, I've never caught a 39" slough shark that looked like it was a throw-back to the Stone Age when fishing those spots!

I'd like to see that pic. There are some goofy looking critters on the Red for sure. I think they live a tough life, many of them. All kinds of predators and problem causers for the fish in the rivers. Seems like many of them show their wear after a number of years...

lol, ok!! Does the spot have a big tree down right next to the hole??? And there is no current???

How bout you sell your boat and buy all that stuff I have for sale!! Everyone wants the vexilar and thats it!!!

There is only 3 true 25' holes in the immediate Fargo/Moorhead area that maintains there depth through most summers. The sharp bend hole next to the grain bins 4.2 river miles South of Convent Landing ramp, the first bend hole .75 miles above the South Dam, and the first sharp bend hole near the island spillway .25 miles upstream of the Johnson Park ramp in Moorhead. Right now, everywhere is a 25' plus hole to play on, but the fish are in 1'-4', so deeper than would be mostly a waist of time. wink

Top pike producers are the Sheyenne River Dam in West Fargo, the Christine Dam, and Kidder Dam. Pike do not feed well in turbid waters so they are lean most of the year. They have there best sustained weight gain in fall and winter on the Red River basin and it's tribs. They run larger on the Sheyenne because it runs cleaner and there growth reflects this. The Sheyenne also has more pike producing lakes associated with it up stream, so more pike get reintroduced into the river yearly.

The more productive carp areas to bow fish in the weeks ahead will be major field drains South of Fargo and North and West of Fargo. The river will be high enough yet to draw carp into them and the water temp will be warm enough to hold them in the major drains. Old Oxbows will capture a lot of the carp and they will be stranded, these areas should be traps for the largest carp looking for spawning habitat.

What do you do with your dead carp once they are killed?

Please do not abandon them to rot and produce flies and stink at waters edge.

Yep, I figured he was talking about the first spot you mentioned. However, he's talking South of town by quite a bit.

... I didn't know the spot by MBJ park was that deep. Been a while since I've fished up there- I'll have to hit those waters again this Summer- I always liked it up there.

Ed,

I have never taken a carp w/ my bow. Never had attempted. 'If' i do get into some carp, I plan on trying various recipes such, as smoking, frying, roasting, to see what I like.

Besides an occasional 5-8 inch bullhead as a boy, I have never kept a fish I didn't eat.

Some diseased fish I've caught in the past were used as fertilizer for my buddies garden at his request.

I agree it is kind of sad the amount of wonton waste one sees, and I'm sure you've seen more than most, however I can assure you that will not be coming from me.

That's good, thinning the herd is "ok" on most areas if practiced responsibly.

We also need to understand Carp are a well respected sportfish to many anglers, indigenous or not they are here to stay. And for those avid carp anglers any harvest for anything but consumption is looked at as..well...like clubbing Muskie would be to many Muskie anglers in MN or in WI.

Carp are a worthy adversary on a hook and line, they are not stupid critters at all...sneaky, wary, and darn smart too. If you want to really test your angling skills, try to outwit a trophy Carp on hook and line, they can humble you preaty quickly.