• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

where are they biting! ive been out 3 nights in a row now out to madison lake trying to find some fish that will bite. i looked in all my normal spots but i swear to god them fish have a locked mouth. i dont have a problem finding them with the fish finder but i tried shallow and deep and it dont matter they just dont bite. ive asked oter people also and they are having the same problem as me. i have been using crappie minnows on 1/16 ounce jigs and slip bobber rigs and vertical jigging and nothing! any help on this topic will be greatly appreciated. thanks.

1/16th is maybe too big for them right now. Try a 1/32 or 1/64th with a waxie(s) or the smallest minnows you can find. I would also switch lakes right now...there are crappies biting in the area.

If you are fishing open water look to the wind. The wind will blow the warmer top water to the far end of the lake, pond or what ever into protected areas such as through bridge cannels. So if there is a south wind look to the north end of the lake. if there is a north wind fish the south end.

would washington be a good lake to try this time of year? i know its a big lake as well but has smaller bays and what not so im thinking that they could be there or possibly in the narrows? anyways thanks for the advice.

would washington be a good lake to try this time of year? i know its a big lake as well but has smaller bays and what not so im thinking that they could be there or possibly in the narrows? anyways thanks for the advice.

Washington is a solid option.

The fish we found over the weekend wanted either waxies on small ice jigs, or plastics fished on the same jigs, the waters is still fairly cold so think small and slow.

As for lakes, Washington might be a good bet, don't rule out any of the other small shallow lakes in the area with good crappie populations.

I realize my transducer is just reading surface temp and the depth the fish at can be a whole differant ball game but I haven't noticed the fish to be in the warmer water yet. Look for 4-10 fow with the deepest water nearby and something structure like to hold these fish, i.e. fallen timber, standing live weeds, bridge pilings, etc etc. This could all change rapidly with the warm weather and sun we've had last couple days so keep a lookout in these shallow areas.

so a spot back by buckmasters bridge on madison and the outlet behind grassy island would be the spot to try then? if thats the case i have not caught a fish there yet this year in open water. marked alot on the fish finder but cant get them to bite. but i never did try behind grassy. its to shallow for the boat and the only way i could get back there with it is put up the motor and use the trolling motor or do it the old fashion way and use the oars and paddle back there. but to make everything easy i suppose i could just drive back there and see what happens. im assuming there is alot of fish back there this time of year cause there is always birds out there such as pelicans and coots and what not and its shallow so the water temp should be warmer then other spots in that area. i think ill give it a try eathier tonight or tomorrow. ill post a report.

I haven't been to Madison yet this year so can't comment on that lake. I would think the steep breaks near the narrows would be best but from what i hear the bite has been tough out there thus far!

the bite has been very slow. earlier this week they were suspended in 47' fow and they were small in size. i never caught one myself but seen the guy next to me catch one. not sure what he was using. i would not recommend that lake to anyone this time of year and your best bet is to goto smaller lakes where water temps warm up a bit faster then madison or just fish shallower. but eathier way im not telling u dont fish there im saying its just slow and not worth the time going out right now unless u wanna take the time out to find them and get them to bite.

yea i had the same problem out on madison last weekend. marked plenty of fish but couldnt buy a bite.