• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New to Bemidji area - where to fish without a boat?

I'm new to the Bemidji area. I don't have a boat, but love to wader fish or shore fish.

People in town have told me about the Lake Irving access on opening or by the college on Bemidji, what tackle would I need for walleyes? Thanks for any info.

Never shored fish at Bemidji. I have anchor by the mouth and casted huskyjerks,Xraps and taildancers. I had alot of luck with metallic colors in blue. Cranks seem to work best during the full moon period. Bemidji is also the best at night especially primetime(dusk&dawn).Good luck.

The fishing pier, or below the bridge are good spots in the spring. The channel is all decent I guess. I've seen shore fisherman out-fish people in boats down there on days...

Diamond Point is pretty good in waders as well. The State Park has some good fishing during times of the year off their dock as well.

Phelp's Half-Faced jigs and some spot-tail shiners and you should catch some fish. Cranks are also good as stated above...

The fishing pier, or below the bridge are good spots in the spring. The channel is all decent I guess. I've seen shore fisherman out-fish people in boats down there on days...

And to think you just picked up your new Crestliner. Can you put some wheels on that Verado?

I wish, the thing probably gets better gas mileage than my truck!

Wait a minute, who is this?? I can only think of maybe 15 people on here who even know that I got my boat!!

Hey Ryan! Haha! It's amazing who you don't even know is on these forums until they say their name!

I stopped at BlueWater Bait today and was told that all of the above is good. Bought some new lures - they also suggested black jigs with twister tails cast and reeled back. What do you think about the jig idea - size/color and color tails? I normally bobber fish from shore.

3/8 oz jigs with a purple twister tail or rattle trap have been good for me in the past.

In current 1/4 to 3/8 oz purple, although opener last year we limited out in 35 minutes (3 of us) using pink and white, dont ask me why they wanted it but two CO's watched us and were laughing that we were done so quick.

If you go to Diamond Point use a floater off the bottom on a slip rig with a minnow. Or jig and minnow, twisters work but not as consistent. Also shallow cranks dark blue and silver or black and silver.

If you go to Bemidji side get your waders and stay away from the dock it is madness there. Wade aways away and use a headlight or light stick so you dont get run over. Be polite cause for the first few weeks of a season shore fisherman and boaters seem to butt heads alot.

Some spots you can also use the lighted slip bobbers, imho your returns are not as good as a twister.

I wish, the thing probably gets better gas mileage than my truck!

Wait a minute, who is this?? I can only think of maybe 15 people on here who even know that I got my boat!!

Make that 300 people now... grin Let's see some pics Matt.

Buck

Chris, I wrote a message to you when you posted pics already, but again, nice rig!

Okay Buck, we'll make 'er 300 plus...

Sorry guys, I've been away sturgeon fishing for the past few days! Here she is!

picture215.jpg