• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Quetico Ice out updates & fishing reports

I've been trying to plan an early season Quetico trip for lake trout. Any predictions or updates out there about when the ice will go out on the border lakes?

We are expecting high temps in the 50's and 60's for the next 10 days so I'll go out on a limb and predict the border lakes should be out in maybe 2-3 weeks. Some cold weather and/or snow could change that in a hurry though.

The weekend of May 8-10 should be safe either way.

Steve

It sure would be nice if the lakes in Ely opened up the weekend of May 2nd/3rd, that way I could get the dock in the water the weekend before opener for a change.....anyone think that is a possibility??....Little long lake if that helps.......

Sure, that's possible. I'm going off memory here, but I think Bside went off on or about May 9 last year, and that was only a month after we had that 40 inch snow. Can't remember when Shag went off.

Little Long would go off sooner generally than Bside, and with this weather the ice is deteriorating rapidly. We get some 60s and good solid rain in the next two weeks and all will be well.

We get some 40s and snow, well, not so much. gringrin

Pending any radical changes in the forecast, the ice should be off most lakes anywhere between April 21st and the 28th. confused

I hope you guys are right, I just off a lake on the gunflint after looking for some whitefish and the augerhead was down on the ice before breaking through?! We have a permit for sag on opener and and didn't make it last year due to ice and am wondering about this year again, come on rain!!!

I saw in a thread somewhere that some lakes have a delayed opening this year due to the late ice...don't know which ones tho, so little help here...I think in BWCA, that would screw up some permit trips...

I wonder if it continues to linger if there will be more delays... confused

Whoaaa!!!...some of those latest ever ice-outs in the link three posts up are waaayyy past opener... eek

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The last week has helped out tremendously. I wouldn't step foot on the ice around Duluth. We're ahead of last year for ice out dates and that was cutting it close on Border lakes.

From an average standpoint I say we're 5 days behind average. That could change depending on what happens from this point on.

Supposed to get to near 70 tomorrow, that will do some damage to the ice.

I'm hoping to get out on Vermilion tomorrow afternoon for one last crappie attempt, but not sure if the ice will still be good. We had no problems last weekend.

Steve

Shagawa went out the Friday before opener last year. Then we got snowed on Saturday night. I had to shovel 4" of snow out of my boat before heading up to Shagawa from Tower. It sucked, until I caught the first of 22 smallies...

Be very careful trying to get that last bit of fishing with the weather we've had.

Talked to a person today whose dad dropped an ATV through one of the White Iron chain lakes.

There is a rumor of another ATV breaking through ice on another lake, but no details on that occurence.

GO- how is Shagawa looking? Hopefully it's out before opener. I would love to get on the smallies again like last year...

bemidjibasser,

Took a look at the north shore of Shagawa this afternoon from Lady Bug Lodge (Olson's Bay) to the Camp Easton road, and the ice is about 10 feet+ from the shore.

Big open area where Burntside River comes in, but the rest of the lake has good ice cover.

Will know more tomorrow when I check the entire north side.

Winter Storm Warning until 6pm on the 20th of APRIL. Grand Portage and areas around have seen 4"+ of snow as of 2am this morning. Cold air will wrap in behind this storm, followed by a big warmup (shortlasting) and then the fun and games begin for opener. Nip and tuck for border waters. Canada lakes (big ones) wait till your opener. The snow is not done with.

Must be Global Warming of course.

I've been watching this web cam on Mille Lacs. It looks like the ice is going out today. I know the border lakes are a different story but this looked solid a week ago. The warm temps made it change in a hurry.

http://www.mnlakecams.com/