• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'm a B guy. I love eating fish, I catch a lot of fish , REALLY REALLY BIG FISH, just kidding, but really I am between B and C, heck, I've got 4 kids to feed.

Quote:
I would say im mostly an B. But im lazy a lot and dont like cleaning them so i toss them back and wait for all the looks i get from the people with the mindset of "im keeping everything".

If I have energy to clean fish when I come home, I left the lake to soon.

My sincere and humble opinion is I don't think you will find many people that would reply C D or E. As far as people 'bragging about keeping a limit' well bragging works both ways and there often is little truth in any of it.

Catch and release is admirable but we all make a personal choice, as long as you stay in the limits you are free to keep whatever is legal. While I will not and I hate to see anyone eat a larger Walleye it is their decision. They may only get out three times a year. I can't fault anyone for keeping a legal fish or a legal limit.

I would not be able to assign myself a letter but I figure my family of four has a meal of fish maybe once every other month. I have no problem eating fish out of the freezer, the older fish get eaten first and nothing ever goes to waste.

I honestly don't mean to offend anyone with those comments it is just a thought.

Why have 662 people looked at this post and only 33 replied? Should we think that the other 629 people that opened this up to read are in the D. or E. bracket?

Or is this wrong of me to think? Maybe they just wanted to read but felt their time was beter spent doing something else and not posting?

Just makes me wonder how many D's or E's are out there. I guess if your a D. it is legal and your own choice but if there were a whole bunch of E's floating around our public waters I would say we have a problem on our hands!

Maybe the info we give on here for what is working and where fish are biting is just feeding the poachers with free info to a bucket full of fish over their limit?

I think as long as someone is following the law and not keeping more than thier possesion limit, then we shouldn't worry about it. I would be more worried about someone who is freezing limit after limit keeping more than they are allowed, or the person who just takes more than they are allowed while on the lake. I am never going to give somebody a hard time who is obeying the law just because they are doing something that I wouldn't do. That's called personal choice which I heard was kind of big in this country at one time.

~piker

Walleyehunter...your right. That's why generalizations are best used to describe the how, what,where and when. Unless you like company.

G. I usually can't catch fish. But when I do catch fish I let them go because I don't think I am going to catch enough for a meal then I start catching more and I wish I had kept the ones at the begining and now it is too late and I don't really like cleaning fish anyways.

Quote:
Why have 662 people looked at this post and only 33 replied? Should we think that the other 629 people that opened this up to read are in the D. or E. bracket?

Or is this wrong of me to think? Maybe they just wanted to read but felt their time was beter spent doing something else and not posting?

Just makes me wonder how many D's or E's are out there. I guess if your a D. it is legal and your own choice but if there were a whole bunch of E's floating around our public waters I would say we have a problem on our hands!

Maybe the info we give on here for what is working and where fish are biting is just feeding the poachers with free info to a bucket full of fish over their limit?

you assume way 2 much about people you dont know. lots of views maybe same people looking lots of times. its like you wanna light torches and grab pichforks or somethin. people have rights to choose and keep a limit and be lawbiding. poachers wont come here to say their poachers.

leave people be, if they want a limit let em. dont force your idea on them.

me - D!

Haha.

Good post Chuck. I agree. It is really noone's business what other people keep. Most, almost all people I know and fish with are pretty good about not taking too many. Sometimes we whack a limit, sometimes we eat potatoes.

If the fish were in that much trouble then we wouldn't be able to get on good bites like we do around here. I am not saying it is fishing heaven, far from it. But usually there is a place any day of the year you can go out and get on some kind of good bite.

I don't really see what the problem is about sharing your ideas? Selective harvest is not a bad thing , The most common thing i see around here is bank fishermen in the spring, and icefishermen in the winter keeping everything they catch. I do understand if you don't have a boat, and don't really know that much about fishing, you may get a impulse of keeping more fish than you need. But if you are 1 of many people in a small area fishing, it could put a good dent in the lakes fish population.

For me, B

I dont want to but in but I have a couple of questions on this topic. If there is possesion limits on most species you are only allowed to have that many in your freezer, right? And if this is so and you want to share a meal with several freinds or family how can you legally keep any amount to eat at a later date?

Your correct, In Minnesota a possesion limit is usually twice the daily limit, hence once you have that you can no longer keep a fish.

I think way more people do it than dont. But in order to do it you must be catching fish. I think it happens more in the spring and the fall, not the summer.

I know alot of people around my town do it, just never sure when they do it so I can make a phone call!

Quote:
Your correct, In Minnesota a possesion limit is usually twice the daily limit, hence once you have that you can no longer keep a fish.

First off, your possession limit is your daily limit for most species of fish. In most cases you cannot have in your possession twice the daily limit. Possession limit and daily limit are the same for most species. For example, the daily limit for walleyes on most lakes is 6 and if you catch 6 walleyes one day, you cannot go out the next and keep 6 more (twice the daily limit) to have 12 in the fridge or freezer. The daily limit and possession limit are the same, thus at any point in time, you may not have more than 6 walleyes in your household unless 1 or more are mounted (or you have more than 1 license holder). Even with mounting, the fish is still in your possession until the mount is complete regardless if the un-mounted fish is at the taxidermist or not. You may want to consider re-reading the regs to understand this more fully.

I think your original question was a good question for members to share ideas and personal practices as it relates to catching, keeping or releasing fish (or not catching fish). However, it also appears you are searching for people to admit to taking over the limit. Here at FM or any other place for fishing discussion, I just don't think you're going to find what you seem to be looking for. Most, if not all of the members are good, honest fishermen/women who adhere to the laws or go a step further by only keeping a couple, or even further yet by releasing all that they catch. I also think most people who are not members are aware of the laws as well. There will be a few though who do not read the laws or who do not care about them, and that is a problem indeed.

If you feel there are people violating the laws and abusing the natural resources, then the best place to take those concerns are to the DNR or local law enforcement agency. I believe we all understand your concern and share in your sentiment, but unless we as fisher people see a violation in person, there is little anybody here can do about those you presume to be breaking laws.

bak2MN - yes, you are correct. In most instances, you can only have in your fridge/freezer what the possession limit states.

One idea for having a big fish fry with friends or family - take them out fishing as well. Allow them to enjoy a day on the water (or shore) and have them keep a few fish for a future fish fry. That would by my first suggestion.

Otherwise, the laws do allow for fish to be given away to friends or family. It's called "gifting". See P. 12 of the fishing regs for further information and/or contact your area DNR for information.

This is taken from page 3 of the 2009 Mn DNR Fishing Regulations.....Good info eyepatrol

Daily and possession limits (bags)– For most species of fish, the daily and possession limit is the same. One exception would be the inland limit on yellow perch, which is 20 per day and 40 in possession. The daily and possession limits include fish possessed by the person at all locations including such places as livewell, cold storage, at home, or at a resort.

Daily limit is the number of fish an angler can take in one calendar day. Eating those fish or gifting them away on the same day does not allow an angler to possess additional fish taken in the same calendar day.

Yup good info, I must have been thinking about something else (maybe hunting limits or something?) I dont know. But good catch.

Quote:
Daily and possession

limits are the same unless otherwise noted. Fish are

in an angler’s possession

whether on hand, in cold storage, in transport, or

elsewhere.

• Once a daily or possession limit of fish has been reached, no culling or live

well sorting is allowed.

That is fron page 9 of the 2009 Mn fishing regulations.

If you want to feed your frends some fish eat the ones in your freezer. If you have 6 Walleyes in your freezer you can not fish for Walleye!!!!!