• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Berkley Vanish

thedeadsea

Question

I have heard several guys posting poor reports on Vanish in another discussion. I've had great luck with it on my spinning reels in 4#, 6#, and 8# and on one of my downrigger rigs with 12#. Just curious as to the experiences of others?

Steve

15 answers to this question

Vanish is da bomb.Last 2 years fall trolling all my big eyes were caught on my pole with 10# vanish on it.

I tied spinners with it and didnt like it at all. Too many break offs. I went home and tied more spinners with Trilene XT and had no more problems.

I use Vanish for leader materila only now and always go up 2# or more with it. Especially around timber.

tried it a couple of times. did not like it, seemed to break to easy and would not stay on the reel to well.

I use 8lb vanish all the time. I don't use it on my line, just tie snells with it. Has worked great for me for a couple of years. I even tie it onto my ice rods to tie the jig too and it's awesome. I've out fished guys with the same jig and different line.

For me it works, not all are going to like it, that's why there are a bazillian lines out there.

Had the early version of Vanish in the 10 lb variety. Lots of break offs on spinner rigs. I'm switching to Berkley 100% flouro 15 lb this year to see if it's improved any.

Thanks for the responses. Obviously many have had breaking problems. I guess I will consider myself lucky.

I normally use Trilene XL as my baseline of judging other lines. I have found that Vanish actually seemed about 2 lb stronger than comparable XL. I.E. 6lb Vanish seemed to have the same breaking strength as 8 lb XL.

Steve

I use vanish for my leader material as well (6lb test) and use 6lb trilene XL for the spool and have no problems with this set up--1 note to make would be make sure to keep your mono lines in a cool/dark place to store them as sunlight really wreaks havoc on it

hope this helps

FF

Just goes to show. I refuse to use XL. Had way too many break offs. I used stren but got some XL free from InFisherman. Hated it. I know others like it. I guess it was just me.

Everybody has an opinion on line. Until I'm sure something else would be better, I'll stick with my 4lb & 8lb XL. Pretty tough to beat it's versatility on my spinning gear.

One thing to remember is to buy your line, no matter what type, from a place that goes through a lot of that line. If you get old line it can be bad news. Of course keep your line out of the sun as much as possible too.

I use it on Mille Lacs all the time and the line seems to hold up just fine. I don't spool my reel with it, i just use it for leaders. I have noticed some places sell last years line which can make a big difference. I like it when the manufactures change the packaging each year so you know you are getting fresh line.

I bought some of the 100% flouro from Berkley and I can't wait to try it. 16 foot leaders here i come! Seriously, it makes a difference when the fish get beat up alot.

I am always careful to store my rods/reels and spare line in a dark place. With the weather over the last couple of years, it is a cold place for about 11 months of the year as well. smile

I have 4 year old 6 lb Vanish on one of my walleye reels that I use winter and summer and it is still strong and has no memory. 6 lb XL has never lasted more than 2 seasons on my smaller reels without turning into a slinky. Also have some 2 year old 12 lb Vanish on one of my trolling reels that is like new.

I always had great confidence in this product but after hearing that many of you had bad reports I now have some reservations with it on several of my go-to combos. I guess I will watch it especially closely and test it before each use.

Steve

I've tried it. Don't have any major complaints. It's a flourocarbon, so it sinks. That can be a problem if you're using that line for slip bobber fishing. You're bobber might have been floating for a half-hour, you're listening to a Twins game, having a beer, life's great. Then the bobber goes down and you can't set the hook right away because your slack is 10 feet under water.

I stick with gamma. stongest line out there imho.

As for filling a spool with flourocarbon I am against it beacuse unlike mono, flouro does not decompose in the water. if you break of 40 feet, it will be there for a long time, unlike monos which will start to break down after time.

One thing to remember is to buy your line, no matter what type, from a place that goes through a lot of that line. If you get old line it can be bad news. Of course keep your line out of the sun as much as possible too.

Excellent point. A fisherman's worst enemy can be old line. I know some guys change line every year, but personally I usually go about every 3 years. I like the idea of using fluorocarbon just for leaders, but I get lazy after awhile. So I have just been spooling the entire reel with fluorocarbon. If I know a particular reel has been getting more use, or exposure to the elements, I change the line more often.