• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

trout this weekend

Alright... My trigger fingers gettin itchy and my boat ain't in the best shape at the moment. So I'm stuck on shore. Tried lakes, tried rivers. Not even the carp want anything to do with me. Although I did manage to steal a couple scales off a few as a school of a hundred or more decided they wanted up a little creek with no outlet... None of which were hungry but all of which bumped and swam within 3 feet of my bait... Frustrating.

So this weekend is trout opener in streams. And both licenses are still good till the end of the month.

Question is, does anyone know of a good spot to camp and trout fish? Not looking for anyones secret spot. Just a place for a nice weekend in the tent and maybe to get my girlfriend her first trout. (kind of wondering if the rivers will wash all of her 98 lb frame downriver however... lol)

Was thinking SW mn. I think I camped down there once and fished the Boot river, if thats the right name. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And there will be pics. Even if it's just the ol lady taking a float trip...

Root River I think is what you mean. Yes, that would be a great place to go. Lots of camping areas and good fishing near Lanesboro.

Forestville State Park is great. Very pretty, and very good fishing in the park. It's about a half hour or so south of Rochester. There's also other streams nearby if you want to explore outside of the park.

we are going to camp in lanesbourough. You can fish in the trout ponds and catch a lot,plus the root is right across the street. Some great restraunts within walking distance of the ponds. Also try and creeks all around lansbourough and the neighboring cities. Lots of space available to fish and some nice fish to boot.

Or you could do the total opposite and head north to st. croix state forest. Lot's of small to medium trout streams...grindstone, tamarack, sand, bear creeks, etc. Fishing isn't as good as the SE streams, but you'll likely have the stream(s) to yourself. I think it's mostly small brook trout, but there's the occasional rainbow and/or brown.

Whitewater State Park and Beaver Creek State Park are nice as well and offer fishing right in the parks. Elba is a fun town to stop and have a beer at and see what everybody has been catching. The streams at Whitewater will be packed.

Sure thing. goldglover81 at yahoo dot com. I only know basic info at best, but it's enough to get you started.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. We decided we're going to head to the forestville forest area and do some camping. check out things in the area. Leaving tomorrow and headed back on monday.