• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

HUNTING

FORD FOREVER

Anyone else looking forward to hunting season? because I cant wait for it hopefully I see one this year.

See a deer. I didnt see any last year during the rifle season. This year I m hoping to at least see one so I can shoot it.

well that sucks you didnt see one, i saw more during bow season last year then gun, have to see what the weather will be like this year, thats what killed everyone last year tough cold windy conditions. No matter how often people wanna complain there arent any deer it was just one of those years

Its nice to see im not the only crazy one thinking about hunting already! Ive been looking forward to this hunting before the last one was even over.

Think i'm gonna go out archery for Mr. Gobbler the last two periods. I can't wait for bear.

I also have the deer hunting itch. The snow is almsot gone so walking in the woods now is just awesome. This is a great time to scout as all the sign is still visible and no bugs yet. In fact last weekend I found a new spot that needs a stand. So that will be my project for the next few weekends.....

I cured part of my itch last week with a trip to Texas. A nice turkey, a pig, a javelina and two nilgai helped alot. I can't believe how many animals I saw on the hunt.

A friend of mine has a friend who is part of a 23,000 acre leased camp on the King Ranch in TX. I got invited to go along and couldn't pass up a trip of a lifetime. Now I just need to get invited when the whitetails and quail are fair game.

I went up to the shack last week and had a look around. I scouted a few new areas for bear hunting and checked out my land. I put some salt blocks out for the deer, and put some left over bait out for the bears. I won't hunt from the area I baited, I just like to set the cameras out and see what's around. I sighted in the muzzle loader with some new bullets, and have been shooting the bow pretty regular. I've reloaded more shotgun shells than one guy really needs, and I've been shooting 4 rounds of skeet a week. I need fising to open so I can quit obsessing about hunting. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the bear license.

AWW man now I m jealous. Got the bow out last nite and shot a few arrows thinkin I'm goning to try to take a tom with archery gear this year instead of the gun season starts the 25 of april. I'm also itchin to get in the woods to set a few new stands, might have a new place to hunt this year.

I'm hoping to get out for Turkey season with the bow. But with spring being pushed back I will be planting during that time. But I have my mathew's sighted in and looking to shoot another big one for the taxadermist this year. I can't believe you didn't see A deer. Need to get out of that NYA area and head north. I hunt north of fargo and one night bow hunting on a 1/3 mile of river bottom we saw 24 deer in 2 hrs of hunting.

everyone else saw deer... you just need to learn how to stay in your stand long enough to see one.

I did stay in my stand maybe you just have to learn how to pull your own deer out of the woods.

The itch was scratched but just tempararely it's one of those itches that just keeps moving. Dropped the string on my turkey this morning.

yeah I saw your pics... nice. kinda sucks that you were out hunting while I was stuck at work tho. wink

Hunting is more important then work you will learn,I allways take the whole turkey season off and for moose hunting last year I took the whole month of october off. It's an itch that never stops for me.

The hunting itch has been slowly leaving me, got spoiled years ago. The county I hunt is void of ducks so no duck hunting, having roughly 30 good goose hunting spots down to 4 and the number of quality bucks around is at barely any. Grouse numbers aren't worth mentioning anymore, went from hundreds to just a brood here and there. Not really a huntable amount of pheasants around and if they were finding places to go you can't. My property lines are surrounded by heated box stands. Sorry such a downer but I don't see any of that ever improving which is why so many leave the state to hunt: I might be joining them.

Yes, I have the itch too. I was fortunate to draw for season A, but shot my turkey at 9:00 Wednesday morning. It was just a jake, but I didn't want to take more time off just to hunt turkeys. Fishing trips & deer hunting eat most of that up.

It was pretty cool. I was walking back in to quit for the morning & I busted these 4 turkeys that were down on the edge of a big CRP field & a swamp. I was up on top of a hill in the middle of the CRP maybe 200 yards away. It's an old one so there's a stray small tree or shrub here & there, but nothing between me & the birds. The one took off, the other three milled around & then locked on me just standing there, not calling, & came basically right to me. The first two were too close together so I shot the third one at 35 yards.

Went as sort of a guide with my cousin that night on a different property & he got his, so we're done.

Cutting wood helps because it gets me in the woods, but then again it makes it worse cause it gets me in the woods & I get to thinking, now what about that tree for a permanent or maybe a portable...

Cutting wood helps because it gets me in the woods, but then again it makes it worse cause it gets me in the woods & I get to thinking, now what about that tree for a permanent or maybe a portable...

yup yup could agree more. Im going up to our hunting spot tomorrow to do some scouting. maybe ill find a shed or two yet.

the only animal I hunt is deer but wouldn't mind picking up turkey to for the spring hunt, but I don't know anything about hunting them.

only five more months until the 2009 bow season! YAY!

This is just my opinion, but read what you can & just start doing it. Hunting turkeys is a little different then deer, but as long as you can find some turkeys & get permission to hunt where they are they aren't that hard to hunt. There are some smart birds, but there's lots of dumb ones too. I've found that to be true in the early seasons, the middle, & the late ones. It's not that hard to get permission to hunt turkeys either. The farmers/landowners usually can & will tell you when & where they show up in their fields or where they run into them in the pasture or whatever.

Roughly 30,000 turkey licenses, maybe off a litte, 550,000 deer licenses. That equals a lot of land with little or no turkey pressure. Even when you take into account there's only turkeys in maybe 60-70% of the state.

If you plan on doing the late archery turkey hunt plan on a very tough hunt unless the turkeys have not been pressured. Count on very little gobbleing blind and decoy shy birds I have had my best luck during that season without a blind and no decoys. Start out how you would normally hunt them and let the birds tell you what they want. It's my favorite hunting they are way harder to get with a bow than a whitetail dont get fustrated some birds just make you want to hang up the bow and go fishing instead but it can be done in late season with a bow.