• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Backup lake in case Mille Lacs is to rough

John Alan

I plan to be on Mille Lacs the week after opener (Walleye). Any recommendations on additional lakes within the Onamia,MN area in case Mille Lacs is to rough (weather)?

have you tryed little whitefish lake alot of people do when the big lake is too rough or borden

The opposite end of Mille lacs from the wind... We have trailered around to get into a more managable wind. Not perfect but at least you can keep fishing.

try fishing lake onamia, been out there in a canoe before and cought some real big walleyes, have a friend there and he fishes out there instead of the big water and swears its better and i believe him i have seen some of his hogs

• 2 weeks later...

To rough?????Go BIG or stay home.(Just kidding!)On the north side of the pond you'll find Clear,Dam (just to name a few)with ample fish in them.Aitkin county is full of Lakes within 1 hour of Mille Lacs!c63

Jeepers it is never to rough on the big pond to fish.. Hell I have been out there in huge rollers in a 14ft lund runabout with a 9.9. it is just waves, they are just bigger haha!

Any wind over 25 to 30 mph and it can make fishing a lot less enjoyable.(Not impossible)c63

How about Round Lake or Big Pine, near Myr Mar. Do these lakes hold any walleyes? Or, how about pan fish?