• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

With the ice out now I am a little suprised confused no one has given a report on how they have done.It could mean one of two things. Every one is to busy fishing or there is nothing worth reporting.I will guess the latter.

Why guess? Get out there and fish. It's early April, and the loopers are staging at river mouths and heading up the rivers. Gotta love spring! gringrin

Not that any actual reports would be a bad thing. It's been a few years since I pursued the loopers, and it's good to see current chatter that helps me relive old times. smilesmile

Josh,

I would say you could be correct on both counts. I would guess that we may have missed some of the best fishing with all of the ice but I've only been out one time so it's to soon to know for sure. I did see a couple of Loopers caught along with a couple of coho.

I will be heading down there Monday. I have been out but it has all been river fishing in Eastern Wisconsin. Man do I love to fish those lake Mich. tribs.! Looking forward to a long week of fishing the beautiful north shore and its rivers. smile

Lots of people down at the french as usual but not alot being caught. A couple of steelies and loopers but pretty slow down there when I have been fishing.

what do you use to catch loopers as well as salmons. i am a begginner and do not have a fly rod either. is there a lure anyone can reccomend or method i can use. thank you.

Did you guys read the Sam Cook article about the Looper fishing on the French? I think about Sam's life sometimes and start wondering about the spring looper article and when it will appear. I think he does a good job--he writes well and his facts are straight. Anyway, he made reference to one of the anglers who was catching an inordinate amount of fish on an unnamed, slow fished plug. 6 loopers, a steelhead and several cohos which he released. What's that plug and what does he know that we don't?

Thanks for the info, great article. I fished the French and Lester Yesterday, seen alot of people fishing but no fish being caught.

I can't wait to fish Superior again.

Spivac did ya read any posts above yours? I talked about the same article.

No way that guy was letting that lure out to be put in the paper. I do know that jointed firetiger raps will do wonders there though.

That guy is there a lot. I saw him catch 7 or 8 on whatever he was throwin and everyone on shore got nothing. Went of on friday for 8 hours and got nothing. Saw about 7 get caught that day. Just started fishin for them this year and still hopin for my first. maybe wednesday...

I am planning on heading up tomorrow and am assuming that the ice from 2 weeks ago has come off the shore. Has the water around the river mouths clouded from the runoff?

I always look forward to this trip I only make it up there 1 or 2 times per year and find that the people fishing are some of the nicest/helpful I have ever met. This will be my 7th year and I have yet to catch a looper. I hope this year to change that. I guess that just getting up there for the experience is most of the fun. I know that I have the presentations right and it is only a matter of time smile

FnF

I was fishin away from the river a bit but didn't notice the river to be cloudy last weekend. best of luck to you

To those of you who fish with looper bugs/jigs, how far below the bobber do you put them?

Can one of the mods please put this looper info in a sticky, so that this can remain what the thread is titled, "REPORTS"???

Can one of the mods please put this looper info in a sticky, so that this can remain what the thread is titled, "REPORTS"???

Dude! Loosen your drag a little bit or you'll burn out your bearings. gringringrin

The water around the river mouths has been a bit murky to downright muddy lately. The streams are starting to run good especially in the evenings after the warm sun all day. Heard the dnr netted the french pool today and got two loopers, waters still pretty cold.

The talmadge still has a lot of ice in it.

Originally Posted By: DeathRoe

Dude! Loosen your drag a little bit or you'll burn out your bearings. gringringrin

I agree. Its all good info, take what you need.

WELL I CAN SAY I WAS THE LAST GUY FISHING THE ICE AT THE SAFE HARBOR ON EASTER. I WAS KINDA QUESTIONING GOING OUT ON THE ICE BUT WHEN I CLEARED MY HOLE ALL I SAW WERE COHO'S LEFT AND RIGHT ! EVERY FEW MINUTES MONSTER LOOPERS WOULD CHECK OUT THE WORM HEAD I HAD ON A PLAIN HOOK. FISHING MANY HOURS FOR THESE LOOPERS I FINALLY NOTICED THAT THEY LIKED A SMALL CHUNK OF WORM, NOT THE WHOLE DEAL. ALSO, THEY WOULDN'T COME AROUND UNLESS I TWITCHED THE WORM. THAT DAY I ICED ONE LOOPER AND A COHO, MISSED A MONSTER COHO AND AN EVEN BIGGER LOOPER. HERE HE IS ! 3135_78911170123_567535123_2136212_36544