• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice out guess

Random guy

Mille Lacs has gotten large piles of ice and I believe last year was one of them. I remember quite a few years back driving by on 169 and there was still some ice left from large piles on Memorial weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

From where i stand on the S shore 4/30 1800, no ice visible in any direction just whitecaps.

4/30 1800?? Do you mean 1800 hours or have you gone through a time warp again and mean years? grin

Ok, got home at 8:00pm when i left at 4:00pm there was a big pile of ice out front when i got home it was gone. Can't go down #111 anymore i feel so bad for the ducks, they were all sitting in one little puddel.

Greetinz' frum da-hood !

I just checked with the all knowing MODIS and it shows maybe a couple of big chunks in lower but upper looks clear !

Lake of the Woods is starting to break-up and it looks like a chunk or two on Leech.

So May 1st might get the call.

4 days befor the 33 days after Nokomis ice free day.

It Must be GW's fault ! ! !

I was up to the huntin' shak last weekend . . .

snow, 24 dagreez' ducks in the ditches

and the frogs were a krokin'

It Must be GW's fault ! ! !

snipe

p.s. I wounder what GW thinks about gw.

Halad is correct no more as of today. Yesterday I seen ice on the North shore by the reservation line and very little ice on the south shore but today nothing visable across the lake. I call May 1st as complete ice out.

"Can't go down #111 anymore i feel so bad for the ducks, they were all sitting in one little puddel."

Yes the ducks and geese took one right on the chin along with the rest of us the past month. Amazing irony, the most water we have had to flood with in 20 years and the worst market for wild rice ever. This will be the first time in 42 years that we do not have a rice crop in. The waterfowl will get a little payback tho as if I can get the fields dried up quick enough I'll plant some barley for them to munch on this fall as they seem to like that better then wild rice anyway.

Kelly, since barley is an important ingredient in beer, its a better crop to raise, in my opinion.

Does that mean you might have to find a job? Just kidding. Look at all the deer that will be there.

kelly,

does that mean that the water is to high to put the crop in,

or the price is so low on wild rice, that you won't put it in?

The past 2/3 years MN produced more Wild Rice then usual and California also greatly increased their production of Wild Rice. The end result is a very big oversupply of wild rice laying around in warehouse's unsold and a slowing economy. When times are tough people will make sure they have something good for the kids to eat before they even think about wild rice, cann't blame them. I may not be able to sell this crop at any price for 2 to 3 years. I could still grow the crop and pay roughly $.45 a pound to have it proccessed and then store it and wait to sell it but I've been down that wrong road before. crazy Bankers lose their sense of humor pretty fast that way. grin

The real tough part now is trying to drain these paddies that were all ready to grow rice and get them dried up in time to plant something else to try to recover part of the money that was spent/wasted last fall getting them ready to rice. crazy What the hell, I've been growing wild rice for 40 years, maybe it was time for a life change. grin

No halad I haven't had time to think of another job but I have decided I'll have to move into your porch. grin

That was a little embarassing to be walking around your yard in the dark looking for my truck that had rolled across your yard to the lake. I guess it just wanted to go ice fishing. Too bad it was June,,,,DUMB TRUCK! grin