• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What time of year does the DNR typically stock yearling lakers? Also, if a lake was first introduced with yearlings in 2007, would they be big enough for table fare by march of next year (this particular lake has a high population of small cisco)?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Lake Trout growth is different from lake to lake.

Traditionally lake trout in Northern Mn lakes are slow growth their first years for the reason they aren't big enough to take advantage of the forage base. Then there are some lakes that seem to have a hard time of producing lake trout over 3 lbs.

Having said that IMO there are few lakes that will grow a laker from a yearling to harvestable size in 1.5 years. What is harvestable size? Depends on the lake. Lake trout lakes that are capable producing large lake trout, IMO keeping small lakers is taking them out before they reach their potential. I'll tend to release the small lake trout.

A 14lb laker caught by a buddy this winter in Canada was tagged. From the statistics received from the Ministry, it had a growth rate .32" and 4/10ths of a pound per year from the time it was originally tagged in 1998. When caught it was 23 years old...and released to grow more. Very slow growing, but as Frank said lake to lake growth rates vary.

Lake trout are very slow growing fish. They do not even reach sexual maturity until the age of 8 or later. A study done at lake isle, lake superior shows that lake trout at the age of 8 years old were only 1 and a half pounds and at the age of 11 were 5 pounds. So in other words there is no possible way you will be harvesting stocked lake trout the following year.

Well, it'd be 3 years, but yeah, I was expecting pretty much what all of you said...I'll give it a few more years. The lake I was refering to by the way is hanging horn lake in moose lake. I'll stick with grindstone for now cool

They are stocking the yearling lake trout this year at the end of April or at ice out. Lake trout are very very slow going and next year depending on the lake they will still be under 10 inches. A 20 inch lake trout could be any where from 7 to 15 years old. I know many 4 pound lake trout up north our about 15 years old.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Rivergroup
      Heading up to LV a week from today with the kids. Any advice for us? Staying on the West side but open to traveling if the weather permits.   The way the last few weeks have gone, might stay for good!!!
    • leech~~
      Do have Wi-Fi in your house. Your going to need that to work with any of the cameras that send a signal and video to your phone.  Hardwire is the best but battery power workers well for about two months then you have to pull them and recharge them.  It is nice to sit on a beach in Key West and keep an eye on your house when gone! 👌
    • smurfy
      SO.......you dont think the BEWARE OF WIFE sign is sufficient???? 😂😄   seriously.......i'm no help!!!!
    • Dash 1
      With all the craziness in the world I’m looking at getting an outdoor security camera setup for my home. Anyone have ideas on what works well without a huge cost  and easy to do . Or is it better to go with a company to set it up.  We have recently had copper thefts in the area at farmers fields and bin sites and I know it will only gat worse as these things always do. I probably want something that hooks up to my phone as well and wondering if there is a good one with either battery life or if wired is better. Any thoughts are welcome. 
    • SkunkedAgain
      Aren't they the ones that ran into problems about illegal bait? Anyone know how that turned out?
    • chaffmj
      You launch on Moose Lake to get to the motorized portage. It's called Prairie portage. To get to the portage you put in at Moose Lake. From Moose you go into Newfound Lake. From Newfound you go into Sucker Lake. On Sucker is where Prairie portage is. There is a dock on the American side and on the Canadian side there is big sign welcoming you to Canada. Latourell's Resort runs the portage and the cost for the portage is $40 for a round trip.
    • mulefarm
      Will that blond haired kid have that cool little orange boat in the show this weekend? Saw him driving around by Muskego Point a few times this summer.
    • smurfy
      Hey  stranger!!👌
    • delcecchi
      Nope, there are parts of Basswood that allow motors.   Entry is from Fall Lake, and there is (I think) a motorized portage.   It is really popular in the spring...
    • smurfy
      had that happen last year on a lake. doing pretty good with sunfish till momma 2 youngins showed up........we moved!!!!🥴 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.