• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

trophy smallmouth?

Quinn

Has anyone caught smallmouth 21" or larger on the big pond? I cant seem to find any that big. If so what areas should a guy target this summer? Thanks in advance for any info.

The lake is full of them. Last fall we were hard pressed to get any under 20" which is not a bad problem to have. Rocks Rocks Rocks and more Rocks

Not a 21, but I got a 20.5 on a rock pile on the east side last year in October. Thing was a tank. I want to spend a bit more time up there this year searching for the biggins. I got another lake in the area for numbers when Mille Lacs is too rough.

How long would a smallie have to be to top the state record? And when will mille lacs produce it? I think one of the in-fisherman guys caught a 7.5 pounder out of there about 12 years ago.

I remember a story from a while back (maybe 11-12 years ago) about one of the Capra boys supposedly catching one that went over 8, but decided to let it go. Wouldn't a fish that heavy have to go 23 inches or more?

I remember a story from a while back (maybe 11-12 years ago) about one of the Capra boys supposedly catching one that went over 8, but decided to let it go. Wouldn't a fish that heavy have to go 23 inches or more?

Wouldnt have to be, but most likely!! Ive caught 3 over 23 inches and all were between 6-7 pounds, in the middle of the summer. In a different time of year those fish could have been easily that 8 pound mark if you ask me!!

I seen a kid catch a 23" off the breaker bar a few years ago. When I was younger we used to catch alot of 20-21" off the docks at Macs while fishing for crappies.

I think the capra bass was the one I was thinking of. But I'm sure in-fisherman has caught some 6 pound plus heffers as well.

I also caught a nice 21" one evening while trolling cranks for walleyes. I was running real shallow with a blue and silver rap, I could feel my lure ticking on the rocks when this smallie smacked it. This was definetly a very fun fighting fish, one of the best I've fought.

Many many smallies over 21" Biggest I have seen on the pond was 2 summers ago hair over 23 1/4; he calls it almost 24

I know I wip this one out every year grin, but it was and is the biggest SM I have seen to date. Caught from an east side bay in the summer of 99, in about 13-14' right under a bouy. Rocky bottom and a green spinner.

3442670263_5a39452a19_o.jpg

The size remains a mystery (I/we for got crazy), so I do not even bring it up any more. grin It was just "big" is all I say now. I am just glad my had a camera along as it was caught and released. My buddy does not have small hands and I am sure you could almost fit his fist in the mouth of this pig.

How would you guys suggest approaching smallies on the pond? I usually fish with a friend for eyes but when they are not biting we hit 3 mile or other rock piles for smallies but really havent had any luck.

Thanks.

I have a friend who has a spot where he caught a 22" and alot of 19-21's last year. Can't wait to go with him later on in the season.

i caught a 22.5 incher a few years ago that went 6 lb 15 oz it was huge i will see if i can put the picture up. we usually get a 20 incher every time we go out the lake is full of them.

How would you guys suggest approaching smallies on the pond? I usually fish with a friend for eyes but when they are not biting we hit 3 mile or other rock piles for smallies but really havent had any luck.

Thanks.

I have limited experience on the pond (river boats and big water usually don't play nice together) but some of my best spots are pencil reeds with a gravel or chunk rock bottom that are fairly deep with deep water very nea by (deeper than 10 feet) That and points with good rock, you really can't go wrong with looking for hazard bouys and working that area as long as there is relatively deeper water around.

I have limited experience on the pond (river boats and big water usually don't play nice together) but some of my best spots are pencil reeds with a gravel or chunk rock bottom that are fairly deep with deep water very nea by (deeper than 10 feet) That and points with good rock, you really can't go wrong with looking for hazard bouys and working that area as long as there is relatively deeper water around.

Thanks. We have tried around bouys with rocks but usually its a pretty flat surrounding area. Where is a good place to find pencil reeds on the south east side of the lake, other than bays?

Originally Posted By: river rat316

Thanks. We have tried around bouys with rocks but usually its a pretty flat surrounding area. Where is a good place to find pencil reeds on the south east side of the lake, other than bays?

The bays grin pretty hard for them to grow on main lake structure with all the waves

I got one over 20" several years ago when I was younger. Man what a fight! It was accidental while fishing for Walleyes. I might have to get up there this summer and try for some smallies.