• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dog/Fence Issues

Matt C

Question

I have a Husky/Sharpie mix. She is a wonderful dog, however, she won't stay in the fence. I built a 50*100*50*house, Fence for her, nice and tight on the bottom (chain link). She keeps digging out. I have put rebar, logs, and everything else under the sun around the fence to keep her in...its a daily fight to see where she will crawl/dig under.

We are out in the country so its not a horrible issue (except for the rabbits) that shes out, but we would like to keep her contained.

But the way I have the fence now with so many 'blocking' agents, its an eye sore to me and my wife.

2 thoughts -

1) Dig a foot under the chain link, cut the support poles by 6" and pour concrete around the edges, drop it down.

2) dig a foot down and a few feet in, tie chicken wire, and cover it up.

Any thoughts? Experience this issue, solutions?

Thanks!

10 answers to this question

Hook it up to electricity, and she will not go near it.

Ok seriously, do you leave her out to run the yard all day or just when you get home? If only when you get home, get a shock collar and when you see her try and start digging zap her until she learn not to.

Another option that we got from our vet for our dog that dug holes was to go and bury chicken wire in the spot and reseed with grass and the next time they start to dig, they will get their toe nails in it and quit. I didn't get around to trying it as we used to scolding method and that worked.

Ha! I've owned Huskies and keeping them contained is a never ending battle. I had to use wire fencing buried on the entire bottom, then ended up putting it on the top. One of mine would rush the fence and "climb" it sit on the top like a chicken then jump over. Loose Huskies are trouble they love to chase deer.

Thanks Shane.

Shes out all day, in at night. My other issue is training time, with my work and fishing schedule, I do not have the time to properly train her with a shock collar...and shes very independent and strong...she wouldn't care if I ran 110v through her, she'd still run smirk

Dig a trench 1 ft. wide at bottom and 1 ft. deep and put chain link down and up to the side chain link. That way when they dig they hit it and can't get under. Also put a top on kennel, tarp or wire.

get a shock collar and when you see her try and start digging zap her until she learn not to.

Dogs are usually smart enough to know when you're not there and when they won't get shocked and can continue their shenanigans. Unless you can monitor your dog all day for a week or two, using a shock collar probably won't cut it.

marine_man

Another option would be to place an inground fence system at the base of your chain link. Whenever your pooch gets close enough he will get zapped. You shouldn't need any "blocking agents" any more..... Just a thought.

One thing I would suggest is go to a smaller enclosure. Huskies are very social and don't like being alone. A bigger kennel will not result in your dog getting rid of energy, they basically lay around, or pace, and cry when left alone. Remember they are working dogs. They are also stubborn and very intelligent. Shocking would be a serious mistake.

Like stated above. 4'wide wire (4" x 2") laid on the ground on the inside and wired to the bottom of your fence "wall". At first you can use some landscape staples to hold it down but over time dirt will cover it and you won't see it. Otherwise you could spread a little dirt/sand over the top of it.

Yes, shes is very protective, very stubborn, yet insanely intelligent. When she sees the walking harness, she jumps around like a little puppy she gets so excited.

I will try what motley man said...with digging under and laying down more chain link. I'll omit the top part until I see her jumping the fence.

Thanks all for the input!

Another option would be to place an inground fence system at the base of your chain link. Whenever your pooch gets close enough he will get zapped. You shouldn't need any "blocking agents" any more..... Just a thought.

I will 2nd this one. Go with the invisible fencing and you will not regret it.