• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Help me pick a body of water for this weekend

Title says it all. I want to get my first day of spring fishing in, break in some x-mas tackle that has yet to taste fish slime, and spend some quality time outdoors.

I'm still a complete novice to spring fishing in the midwest. This whole snow/snowmelt business is very confusing to a native texan smile I couldn't figure out any spring river fishing at all last year, caught a total of two carp in four outings. Didn't hit up any lakeshore until the beginning of summer so I might try that earlier this year.

Should I bother with anything other than fishing crawlers or other bait on the bottom? I don't care what species are around as long as they're legal to target.

i don't start my bass fishing until mid-april/end of april. the goofy weather this year has delayed it more! i really want to try out the miss (From shore soon) but it's not looking good. this is why i picked up fly fishing. C&R in wisconsin already on!

you're in northfield? (my parents live there) i think canon & vermillion would be good

oh lol i havent changed my location yet, moved to the twin cities last summer. Bass fishing is closed I think, I'm sort of thinking to use the spring to target rough fish and cats maybe?

You are in the metro area apparently. Might as well carp fish like I have been. Throw a crawler or corn on a hook and sit for a bit. Bring a radio and make a day of it. I got three on the hook on Nokomis today using corn. Apparently Isles and Calhoun are good too, but I haven't had any luck there yet.

On Nokomis, go to the east side, right after the 53rd st intersection. There's some culverts there. Cast out and wait. It'll happen. Great fun on light tackle.

sounds cool! where is parking around nokomis? i've never hit up anything in the metro before.

All around the lake, there also lots, but you may have to pay. Caught my first fish out of Nokomis 45 years ago, still love that lake and you can watch the free air show!

I'm thinking of targeting some rough fish for the first outing of the year. Thinking of Nokomis too. I got skunked last year (tons of itty bitty sunnies and crappies only). I'm probably heading out early afternoon. Drop me an email if anyone else is heading out there for some shore fishing. [email protected]