• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Opener Big Sandy Lake!!!!!!!!!

Heading up to Big Sandy for opener. We are renting a cabin for the weekend. It will be my first time ever fishing the lake and was hoping for some info. Where to fish depending on lake temp, hot lures and colors, night, day, or both bite, etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

It can be a tricky lake. I have fished it for opener for the last 6 years. I would say the only real solid pattern I have figured out is fish shallower than you think you should be and fish the windy parts of the lake. Jig and a minnow.

Head into the flowage, which is on the west side of Hwy 65 across from the Pier 65 bar, go under the bridge and anchor somewhere alongside the river channel. Cast jigs tipped with leeches or minnow down the drop and bring them back up. If it's slow there, travel further down the flowage to the next bridge and do the same. Have fished other parts of the lake on opener in the past, but this seems to be the most consistent area(s) in terms of numbers of concentrated fish. Hope this helped to get you started. If it's slow fishing at the first bridge, remember it's just a very short boat ride away to the Pier for an adult beverage and some chow! Good luck!

If its slow in the flowage try the structure in the nw of the lake by the islands. 5-10 feet deep durring the day not dusk and dawn. Use plain hook and leach or minnow.

the pier closed, but I have heard that zorbas bought the place, not sure when it opens.

All good advice. Fish shallow 3-10, jig and minnow always a good bet. Go out early if you want to get anywhere near a bridge, stay all day if you get near(it will prove to be a good spot eventually.) The clouder the shallower. Don't forget to respect other boaters, it seems to be an issue on opener.

P.S. Don't troll the fishing lanes under the bridges!

I believe Zorba's is open.

And stay away from the PierBridge on Walleye opener. I'll be pitching huge Dare-Devils at any near by boats with-in my range...And I'm deadly accurate with this technique!.... grin

Later Pier!...

I just dont know if Zorbridge has the same ring to it?

I was up on Saturday and had a very good pizza. Pretty much the same as Pier but with different menu. They had a girl running a Hammerschlagen game there - which was kinda anti-climatic with only 20 customers in the place -but they'll do very well w/ the summer crowds. Seemed to be getting busier when I left around 10pm.

They have a few more video games also. It'll be nice for my little kiddo

zorbazs has been open for over a month. excellent food but the beer seems to give me a headache in the morning. wink go figure.

• 2 weeks later...

I would rather be in the zoo their for fishing opener than the memorial and 4th of july zoo the pleasure boaters on that lake do not show ant respect for people fishing, might have too carry the paint ball gun to mark a few. I swear they try to sink the people out in the small boats then they smile and wave when they go buy and I flip them the bird.

Don't say all the boaters, you mean some boaters disrespect fisherman. The lake is not just for people who fish, but for boaters, jets skiers, water skiing, wakeboarding etc. I hate when I am boating and a guy is fishing in the middle of a channel or island and its hard to get around the person fishing. Maybe the guy fishing should pick a different spot so they don't have to worry about it.

Don't get me wrong, I love fishing, but the lake is not just for us, just my opinion though.

Go try a small lake with nobody on it???

I second that Sniper. Headin up Thursday and gonna try your hotspots. Let me know if you're goin up, maybe we could meet for a beer at Zorbas or the Eagles Nest.

I'll be their heading up the next 2 friday eve's for the weekends,I'll probably see you on some of the spots blue&tan crustliner 1750.

So does Zorbas have a full Bar?

They will have when you show up!LOL

Poster: PierBridge

Subject: Re: Opener Big Sandy Lake!!!!!!!!!

So does Zorbas have a full Bar?

Better yet...will they deliver down to the river while I am fishing?? laughlaugh

When the eyes are biting, I don't want to be walking all that way up to get my pizza! grin