• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

clothes washer top spinner doesn't work

beer batter

Question

Not knowing the correct terminology, hope I can explain this properly.

It's a top load washer.

The main agitor works fine. It spins back and forth throwing stuff around really well.

The top part that spins to pull the clothes down from the top of the water column is not spinning though. It's the part where you add fabric softener that is also supposed to spin. This spinning part is supposed to pull the clothes from the top-inside portion, down to the bottom agitor and in the process the clothes located on the bottom get cycled out and move to the top of the water column so that clothes are constantly moving in a round-a-bout fashion never being stuck on the agitator for too long.

Result is that clothes loaded in first get cleaned the best because they're constantly being agitated, other clothes basically get a good soak.

Any idea how to fix this top portion to spin again so that clothes will get pulled down to the agitator?

8 answers to this question

I'm guessing that it's a whirpool or kenmore. The part that's bad is called agitator dogs. Take off cap or fabric softener dispenser on top of agitator. There maybe another cap down below that, or there is a 7/16" bolt down there. Take out bolt and then lift out entire agitator. Otherwise may have 1/2" square drive plastic piece holding agitator on. Separate 2 parts and in top half the guts will come out. 4 little plastic pieces are what's bad. Part # 80040 at a parts store. Reverse removal process and re-install.

Thanks bearslayer, I knew someone on here would know something about washing machines. The machine is an Estate brand which is a subsidiary of Whirlpool if my memory serves correct.

Question on removing the fabric softener dispenser casing. I don't see anything that I'd be able to loosen in order to remove it. Are these just pressure fitted, so that it will snap out with some force applied?

Just did this to mine about a month ago. Bearslayer's got it down just right. Just pull the top cap off and on mine there was a plastic disc covering the bolt that removes the complete agitator. Just pull that flat cover off to expose the bolt. Easy fix.

I just pulled it apart tonight and got those agitator dogs out. They're all rounded out on the front end, where I'm assuming is supposed to be some ridges to catch and spin the agitator.

Have to call around tomorrow for the parts. Who's got these things in stock around Maple Grove?

Go to any local independent appliance shop, and they should have what you need, we sell a ton of them. Really cheap fix.

Problem fixed. Found a local repair man who sold me some agitator dogs out of his van. Thanks a ton for the helpful suggestions everyone!