• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

30 days till the opener...what are your plans?

Plans are to get in Friday noon and be on the water early Saturday morning and fish through Monday.

After last year's ice situation, any thoughts from you local guys as to ice out?

We are planning on arriving Friday morning and fishing until Monday morning.

I have already begun the webcam watch and would also appreciate any ice out thoughts from the lucky locals.

53orbigger

I think that we will have a normal ice out this spring. The ice has been thinner then normal all winter,we are already loseing ice, there are a few open areas by shore, and temps. in the mid to upper 40's are predicted for the next week. smile

Cliff

The Walleye are already "shaking" just knowing that I will be fishing, (I mean catching) opening weekend. The good news is I practice catch and release and will only keep a few of the many, many Walleye I will catch. So many walleye and so little time!!

If we get average weather for a while, we should have an average ice-out.(April 27th is the average ice-out date) The Pike river is running over the dam pretty good, so Pike Bay won't last more than a couple of weeks or so. Big bay is soon to follow, I hope.:)

I'll be pitching jigs and slip bobbers on opening day, then we go to crankbaits later in the evening. I have one spot in Pike bay, that I always check first thing early in the morning. After that, I'll be moving around to some other not so well known locations.

"Ace"

Going to try to fish more spots and put in more time on opening day this year as my buddy and I are hiring a babysitter so we can fish all day.

Also have a new spot I am going to try early morning and late night with bobbers.

Steve

Going to try to fish more spots and put in more time on opening day this year as my buddy and I are hiring a babysitter so we can fish all day.

Also have a new spot I am going to try early morning and late night with bobbers.

Steve

You guys need a baby sitter on the water? wink

Ya know how it is. Our wives are both busy that weekend and with 5 kids between my buddy and I the boat would be pretty crowded!

Steve

My plans are pretty simple, light a fire by the lake, walk out to the dock, put a minnow out under a bobber and then go back to the fire, open an adult beverage, watch the bobber go down, return to the dock, after Mr. Walleye is done wrestling, return minnow and bobber to the lake, return to fire and beverage, repeat, repeat, all day long.

I really enjoy fishing out of my boat, but I prefer to wait until the armada decreases a little in the Whiskey Island/Narrows area.

Good luck to all that will be going out, and please be safe.

Darrell.

I will be guiding on the opening week end.

Plan to hit as many of my regular opener spots as possible and to have a fish fry at the end of the day!

Cliff

It all sounds good !You think the dnr will have pike bay open for fishing this year? Really enjoy trollin raps around her!Kinda puts ya in a bind when they got the thing closed in the narrows.Oh well plenty more spots further out ,always enjoy fishing jigs deep,anybody heard much about this years bait situation?Really startin to get pumped all the rigs are tied new line on the reels yamahas tuned up and the burb is ready to roll! Been along winter, i feel like i have a mission this year ,came up last fall on a saturday didnt feel so good when i got there,woke up sick.Anyway to make along story short had a lower intestenal infection and wound up in the cook hospital for 4 days!Thank GOD for that place they were wonderful!!So im really lookin forward to it all,bamboosler at the vermillion club,burgers at good ol days and breakfast at wayside!Have to check the tackle at Vermillion fuel and food and like to hit virginia surplus too!I wont forget to go to cook and see Joe at northwoods bait catch up on this past winters trappin stories either. Cant forget to hit Southswitch either ,BUT most of all that big beautiful lake with all those walleyes in it!!!!

Staying at friends cabin on a lake nearby and fishing V on Saturday and Sunday. Pizza at the Vermillion Club on Saturday afternoon and fish fry later Saturday night. I don't care if it's cold -- I just want the weather to be dry.

trolloni,

Hard to say at this time if Pike Bay will be open. I would guess that it will be open to fishing at the present rate ice out is progressing.

Cliff