• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

LAKE OSAKIS NARROWS PUBLIC ACCESS????

DOES ANY BODY HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE PUBLIC ACCESS ON THE NORT END OF THE LAKE? IT SEEMS AS IF THE PEOOPLE LIVING ON THE TOWNSHIP ROAD DO NOT WANT IT TO BE USED IN THE SUMMER ANY MORE AS IT IS WAY TO NARROW TO TURN A TRUCK AND TRAILER AROUND SO YOU WILL HAVE TO BACK IN ALL THE WAY FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL AND ALSO THE SIGNS THAT SAY NO PARKING IN BETWEEN SIGNS ARE ALOT FARTHER APART THAN THEY USED TO BE. IT IS TO BAD THAT WE ALL ARE GOING TO HAVE TO CRAM IT TO THE 2 GOOD DNR ACCESS AND THE ONE IN MILLERS BAY THAT IS OK AS LONG AS IT ISNT REAL WINDY.

Isn't that all private property on both sides of the approach? If so, about the only way to improve the situation is to buy some of the property I guess.

I own the property by the so-called public access by Holiday Resort, now the access you are discussing is surrounded by private property. I remember people parking on and driving on that private property and i'm sure the landowners weren't too happy with that. And it looks like there won't be no land aquisition to make parking spaces either.

Anyways, if you want to use a good access with a nice steep concrete ramp, go to Holiday resort or Buck Point. You won't get stuck in the sand as seen at these un-improved accesses including the access next to my property.I have had my experiences with people parking in my driveway next to the trailer and on my property. But I always kept my cool when that happens and just talk to these people in a nice way to let them know they are on private property. Never had an incident where people left angry.

Somebody did put a ding in my new truck during the early ice fishing that didn't make me happy though! mad

my cousins use to property on holiday resort side of that landing all are passed now

just curious they were the allens did you know them ?

Back in the day we use to fish of buck point and holiday resorts dock in the fall and catch huge crappies it was

a blast

gregg52, can't recall those names. Owned that place since 1972!

I know most of the locals though!

from what I hear, that landing is a pulic landing and yes the land around it is private, but what about the road right away? That would 66 feet i think. All I know is the fight seems to be raging on!

Finlander,

I will be up at Holiday Resort over memorial day weekend with the in-laws. I have never been on Osakis on open water. I don't need specific spots, but if you could point me in the right direction for some panfish around that time I would really appreciate it. I have a smaller boat, so if the wind is blowing, I could be in trouble. If you want to email that is fine, or if you do not care to give any info up that is fine as well.

Thanks

[email protected]

Just to clarify: is the original post talking about the public access directly east of Battle Point? That is, the public access on the south side of the west corner of the north arm of the lake?

I believe he's referring to the access on the north side of Manthey's Bay. It's really nothing more than a roadway that enters the lake.

I see your point, Mike89. I could see that if the local land owners are barricading the shoulder then they are extending their property lines onto public property.

I believe he's referring to the access on the north side of Manthey's Bay. It's really nothing more than a roadway that enters the lake.

I see your point, Mike89. I could see that if the local land owners are barricading the shoulder then they are extending their property lines onto public property.

OK--I haven't used that access (north of Manthey's Bay) in several years. Last time I tried it there was a chunk of timber blocking the water.

I had a hard time imagining how landowners could block the public access straight east of Battle Point.

FINLANDER

Ya they had a trailer house right thre

Funny thing is i see your from burnsville

They were from Savage as am I grew up down there

eddie and sonny allen

there was another guy that went there alot after eddie died his wife took up with a guy named elroy hennen

I'm not aware of any public access east of Battle Point. The next access east of Battle Point that I am aware of might be at Head of the Lakes resort.

Maybe I'll learn something new. Where is it?

Ruegs23, i'll be there over the holiday so stop in and say hi!

I'll point you in the right direction for sure, but it will all depend on how this goofy weather folds out.

Well now the road right of way (33') would go right thru the trailer that is sitting on there right now, so if you think you can park there good luck!

We bought the property back in 1972 back when there were no lot size restictions and set backs that exist now. The property is my family's, and if you think 33' from the center of the road gives you the right to go on this property you would be talking to a sherrif right quick like! Just to let you know!

There are numerous small lake lots all aolng the shoreline in similar situations where 33' from the center of the road is water and good luck tresspassing there!

Hope this clears up the 33' theory!

Not all roads have a 66' ROW, the little road you are talking about may be 3 rods or 16.5'x3=49.5 or anything the surveyor/engineer dreamt up like 40'. You would have to check the surveyed plat of the area if there is one and that would clear it up quicklike.

On a side note, being in the industry I do not agree with the fact that people think they can go anywhere they so choose in the ROW. The people that maintain the area should get some respect in these cases.

It is also possible that the ROW was getting torn up by people using it and the township ( I think that's Leslie Township there) may be the ones blocking it. Haven't taken a drive over there lately so not sure what it looks like now. For anyone that is confused it is the one at the end of 145th Ave. off of County 10. I am also wondering what access is directly east of Battle Point.

I am also wondering what access is directly east of Battle Point.

The ramp I am referring to is at 45 55.879' North, and 95 05.943' West, according to my GPS. It is west and south from what I have always known as Coon Point, on the south shore of the north arm. Buck Point is pretty much straight north, and just a tic west, across the north arm of the lake from the ramp I am referring to. Hedlund's Bar is north of it, and just a bit east. The northwest tip of what I have always called Battle Point is just a few hundred feet west and a bit north of the ramp I am talking about.

'eyehunter,

Now I know where your talking about. That is the Battle Point Count Park access. It is the only county park in Todd County. The state gave it to the county a few years back. The county has so much time, don't remember when the dead line is, to add camping sites and up grade the park or the land reverts back to the state.

Hey there Finlander, your access I have no idea about. I was saying what has been said about the other one north of you. Did anyone read the Long Prairiepaper the last couple weeks? There are a couple interesting letters to the editor.

Mike89

It is Leslie Township road T243X. It is a 66 foot wide strip. Apparently was called Helen's Landing at one time. That's all I know for now. Don't get the Long Prairie paper so I haven't seen any letters. I have never used that access in the summer. Have driven on there in the winter to ice fish.

'eyehunter,

Now I know where your talking about. That is the Battle Point Count Park access. It is the only county park in Todd County. The state gave it to the county a few years back. The county has so much time, don't remember when the dead line is, to add camping sites and up grade the park or the land reverts back to the state.

I don't think I used the County Park ramp last year (couldn't remember the name, or I would have used it instead of giving long directions), but the year before it was definitely in need of some upkeep and maintenance.

Mike89, no I haven't read that paper. Could you clue me in as to what the article was about?

I can't say for sure what was in there, but it should be on the internet. It talked about the right aays and who did what.

WOW this is good stuff!

this is a link to the most recent post.

You need to do back in the arcives editorials to read the original april 1 letter. (3 total) entries... http://www.lpleader.com/?p=3005

if people want i can copy paste all 3 ???

If you query "fishy" on the paper's web site you get all 3 letters once you link to the page above.