• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The youth from church and I are finding a way to fundraise money for our retreat. i came up with a idea about smelting. i was just wondering if anyone in the duluth or any area have some nets and wader for rent or sale that we can use or buy? any help will do. i dont know how this would work but it worth a try. i told them its a fun way to have fun and it for a good cause. Thanks in advance.

The youth from church and I are finding a way to fundraise money for our retreat. i came up with a idea about smelting. i was just wondering if anyone in the duluth or any area have some nets and wader for rent or sale that we can use or buy? any help will do. i dont know how this would work but it worth a try. i told them its a fun way to have fun and it for a good cause. Thanks in advance.

A smelting retreat or smelting as a way to raise $ for the retreat? You wont make much money semlting because the smelt cant be used inland any longer.

I suggest a car wash or garage sale.

Smelting is hard work and you have to hit it just right or its a lot of leg work for nothing.

A bake sale is another good idea.

Smelting a a retreat? If they are into it. If not they will grow to hate you. It can be a very cold adventure.

Hate to sound like Negative Nick but I think kids would enjoy a fishing outing, mountain bike adventure, charter boat fishing trip etc. more than smelting. Plus they will have to be out very late.

If you do the smelting make sure you have a waver from every kids parent/guardian.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Also not sure you want the kids out there with some of the shady characters or should I say "Colorfull" characters that can show up at this event!! crazy Northlander has some of the better ideas I think. wink

I didn't see anywhere in his post that he was going to use them for bait,. Maybe they are going to do a smelt fry and use the procedes for that, that would be a way to raise money and the kids from the organization can have fun too.

Jar Jar

Yes he could do that too Jar Jar.

Im just thinking with all the headaches about taking smelt and then getting the propper things needed ( permits) as far as having a smelt fry for the public there has to be a easier thing to do.

Late and cold nights and hard work for what could be a no pay out situation I would go with a sure bet.

Im not saying dont do it Im just letting him know the other side of the story. wink

I didnt think he would use them for bait either but selling smelt to raise money is hard to do now that people cant use lake superior smelt for bait inland.

Phooj,

How far do you have to travel with this group of youngsters?

What age group are you talking? I'm guessing that you know what time of the evening this usually takes place? Last question for now... Do you plan on catching smelt to use at a smelt fry and how many do you think your looking for in gallons?

I think I might be loosing my mind. When I made this post I didn't see another post except for the first one. My post sure does look out of place but I'm going to leave it as is.

BD110 up to duluth and superior there. high school ages. at night is smelt run right? 45-50 per 5 gal. any help?

Phooj,

I know where you have to travel to in order to go smelting. My question was how far do you have to travel or where are you coming from? Guess I was looking at the length of your trip. Do your high school aged kids have to attend school the next morning or are you just going to attempt a weekend thing.

To answer one of your questions yes the smelt run at night. If your traveling a long distance you may have to stay very late in order to get any amount of smelt. I'm still not sure of the numbers you're looking for. Also there would be a few hundred smelt in each 5 gallon pail never really took the time to count.

I'm not sure I'll be of much help if you're unable to give me an idea of what you have planned.

yes its a weekend thing. im coing from saint paul. maybr on a friday night. i mean 45-50 smelt in one pull right? so any help get back at me.

Phooj..would smelting be the retreat or are you trying to raise money smelting for the retreat?

I highly doubt you would make any kind of money for the retreat after driving all the way to duluth from saint paul with a bunch of youth kids. I also agree with northlander that there are a lot more enjoyable things that could be done than smelting if it is for the actual retreat.