• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Muddog

• smalltownboi2008

• zepman

• Team Otter

where is this trout pond located in st. peter? i'm coming from faribault, mn

Directions to Paul's Creek (St. Peter Trout Ponds) from St. Peter:

Take Hwy 99 east out of town crossing the river, begin ascending up the hill.

Turn on the first available northbound blacktopped county road (I forget the name, but its the turnoff to Ottawa)

The turnoff to the ponds is a gravel road on the west side of the blacktop. If you use google maps or some other sort of aerial/satellite imagery you can make out the ponds. They are the small dark ponds about 1/2 mile east of the great big geometrically sided old hatchery ponds.

Good luck lilstatik. Welcome to FM and don't forget to bring the kids.

From faribault take Hwy 21 West to Hwy 99. Take Hwy 99 west. When you get to the bottom of the hill (Minnesota river valley) take the Ottawa road north. They well be on your left around two miles up the road. If you can't find them there is a bait shop about 1 mile up the road. They will help you find them.

Thanks for the pictures they brought back memories. Looks like fishing would be a bit less crowded in the center. Anyone ever carry a canoe out ?

Must not be allowed but it would make for a funny picture.

Remeber all those little plastic colored ducks bumping into each other in the 'duck pond' at your kid's school carnival ?

Now think of all the people on shore snagging those in the boats and those in the boats snaggin the people on shore and in boats near by. yuk-yuk

wow why would anyone fish there? talk about a headach!!! Not worth any fish

Took the kids out there around noon and had much more room than the pics. showed. We tossed some small cranks for about 1 1/2 hours and caught about 5 trout. It was actually pretty fun and the kids loved seeing the trout up close for the first time.

I went back out at 3pm and there was much more room.

There were some people bragging about how someone they know fished the ponds at sunrise got there limit in 45minutes took them home and came back for another limit. I just about told them I can one up them on that, I know someone who drinks so much alcohol he now has the mind of a 15year old, but you don’t hear me bragging about that.

so after the weekend how many came out with a limit? ive seen the pics muddog posted but its like that every year on openeing day. thats why i almost refuse to go down there. when all the people are down there thats the time to go really. yes its a little crowded but at least u know the fish are biting. was the DNR down there as all does anyone know? what were they taking? im considering of going down there tonight and giving it a try after work here.

I went by there Saturday morning and couldn't believe the crowd. People were parked all the way up the driveway and on the sides of the road.

The Ponds have definitely gained in popularity over the years.

thats just plain ridiculous i think. those ponds get to pressured and whatever fish the DNR does stock in there they all get fished out right away from the weekend. i shouldn't say all of them but a majority of them do. i know that is close to home for all the st.peter residents but if they like trout fishing that much why do they hardly ever go someplace else other then the ponds? can anyone give me an explanation why that is? its the only time of year that people go down there cause they know the fish are biting but they may fish just once or twice a year. i will probably stop down there tonight or sometime soon and go check it out. i know there will be people there but im thinking wiht this rain and overcast day it should be really good but maybe not.

thats just plain ridiculous i think. those ponds get to pressured and whatever fish the DNR does stock in there they all get fished out right away from the weekend. i shouldn't say all of them but a majority of them do. i know that is close to home for all the st.peter residents but if they like trout fishing that much why do they hardly ever go someplace else other then the ponds? can anyone give me an explanation why that is? its the only time of year that people go down there cause they know the fish are biting but they may fish just once or twice a year. i will probably stop down there tonight or sometime soon and go check it out. i know there will be people there but im thinking wiht this rain and overcast day it should be really good but maybe not.

On the contrary, I think it's great to see people out fishing in the area, especially those with kids. This scenario is a perfect opportunity for getting the younger generation "hooked" on a sport that hopefully they will appreciate and participate for years to come. Now, if there are people out there abusing the resource, that's another story and should be addressed with the appropriate officials.

If you look at the first pic you can see a lantern. I wonder how soon some of those people show up.

Yes the DNR was there. I think they will stop in at least once a day.

If some people show up and fish only on opener I'm all for that. The money for the Trout stamp will go to good use. I just wish it would go to use around this area.

I think they will stock the ponds 2-3 more times.

i totally agree with with you TO. i understand how that goes. and muddog i think those people wait around for 2 hours or so before they can legally by law cast a line in the water. cause if i remember right its half hour before sunrise on opening day. correct me if im wrong. i was down there last year and got there an hour prior to legally throwing a line in the water and there was alot of people there and there were barely any other spots to stand. thats why i think its ridiculous out there on opening day cause u cant even have enough room to cast and its all shoulder to shoulder and people are getting all tangled up and casting over others. in my book it just aint worth it anymore but if it wasn't so crowded i would consider going.

Is it worth fishing during the middle of the week or do you think most of the fish will be fished out by then?

yes the limit is 5 but i guess i was unaware of the 1 over 16 inches rule. i never heard of that before. but eathier way those trout are just yearlings anyways so u probably wont even come close to getting one that size or bigger. im sure they might have 1 or 2 in there from the previous year but they are so smart and wont hit anything! but getting to your question i think fri afternoon would be a good day to go. the DNR stocks them eathier every week or 2 weeks. i cant remember but in the middle of the week its not crowded at all but there are hardly any fish in the ponds and they all smarten up so u will be lucky if u even get 3. u would prolly get around that number on a good day. and they are picky on what they want too.

HA thats a good one. So does the Dnr stock them friday morning or why would friday be better than wed or thurs?

friday anytime during the afternoon will be your best bet. the middle of the week the fish are slow and picky of what presentation they want. but this friday the dnr might be stocking them and u might meet them down there at the ponds if u decide to go. and to answer your question ktapper u are right on the dot! its fun and to me personally i think its basically i cheezy way of getting a limit of fish in a very short amount of time and it just aint as natural as fishing a stream or larger body of water but i will do anything to catch some fish especially if the lakes have a slow bite as well.

HA thats a good one. So does the Dnr stock them friday morning or why would friday be better than wed or thurs?

There will be a re-stocking on Friday afternoon.

msybe not but all i know is wheneer it gets restocked there is no room to cast and everyone is down there and its all shoulder to shoulder like it is on opening day.