• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

okay so i was looking on the MN DNR webpage early on this afternoon and saw that stream trout opens on the 18th and if i remember right the ponds are under the stream trout regulation. correct me if im wrong! but if thats the case it starts on saturday, april 18th. when are they going to be stocking the ponds? my guess is friday soemtime in the afternoon towards evening or anytime for that matter. unfortunately i would love to get down there for opener but i will be outta town till sunday night so thats probably when ill give it a try providing i dont get home to late. how often do they stock the ponds? i know a few years ago they had a big article about them in the st.peter herald and they gave the dates and times they were going to get restocked. they usually have done it every 2 weeks for the first 3 times then they do it once a month from there on out if i remember correctly. any information about this will be greatly appeciated! thank u all for your input.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Muddog

• smalltownboi2008

• zepman

• Team Otter

The ponds will be first stocked the afternoon of Friday, April 17th. The ponds are stocked 4 times, at 1500, 1500, 1500, and 1000 yearling trout on each trip. Dates of stocking varies because these are hatchery fish and the schedule of the hatchery varies with statewide demand, worker schedules, fish withdrawal periods, etc. It's often not as simple as post a date and stick to it, which is why putting it in the newspaper can be misleading to some. Usually the ponds are stocked every 2 weeks. The fish are caught and removed pretty rapidly, so get there early, especially if you're taking the kids out.

It's been since high school since I fished them but yes, the stream trout opener includes the Ottawa Trout Ponds, at least it did back then. No idea when of how often they're stocked.

thanks for the info guys. i guess ill give it a try if it dont get to late on sunday night. but by then they will prolly be all gone grin jk. but yeah your right how they get fished out really quick. anyone have any suggestions what to use? in the past i used cast masters and yes they still work but not as good the last few years. i was always told to use very light tackle cause them trout dont take your presentation if the line is too heavy and u have to use a small hook and cover it completely. ive used worms, gulp, waxies, corn, anything u name and it all works the same in my opinion. but then i see the guys down there that use all the same stuff for panfishing and big bobbers and bigger hooks and all and they seem to be the ones that catch them faster. why is that? i think ill just stick to my normal technique and see how it goes. but the thing i really do hate is it gets so packed down there when they stock the ponds and your fishing shoulder to shouler basically and have no casting room. other then that does anyone know if they ALL get fished out? cause i went down there a couple years ago and saw a nice 4 pound rainbow just sitting in the stream. im assuming if they survive somehow they get smart quick and stay away from your hook.

Don't laugh at what you said. There are people who are there every day taking as many fish as they can from the ponds. Sometimes 2-3 times a day. 8 weeks after opener there will not be a trout in the ponds!

At sun rise on the opener it will be elbow to elbow with fisherman at the ponds. Some will show up 2-3 hours early.

When your there Sunday if you see a guy with a fly rod and a black landing net come over a talk. Maybe we can exchange some notes.

Don't laugh at what you said. There are people who are there every day taking as many fish as they can from the ponds. Sometimes 2-3 times a day. 8 weeks after opener there will not be a trout in the ponds!

At sun rise on the opener it will be elbow to elbow with fisherman at the ponds. Some will show up 2-3 hours early.

let them guys have the trout. keeps em away from edible fish

They are an over glorified Bullhead when it comes to eating but on a 3 or 4wt flyrod with a 2 lb tipit, will I guess you would have to do it to understand it.

When your there Sunday if you see a guy with a fly rod and a black landing net come over a talk. Maybe we can exchange some notes.

Hey Muddog I also might be there with my fly rod.

Quite sad that people go back 2 or more time per day. A person can only eat so many fish per day. No wonder these ponds get fished out so fast mad

Im not even going to touch this subject, it would just get deleted anyhow!

ill have to admit is fun catching them trout. i never tried fly fishing for them before but i know how challenging and tricky it can get. but anyways them trout are good to eat once in a great while but i dont think anyone could live off eating trout everyday for a week not to mention its unhealthy for the human body. but one thing i have to ask is where do all the hmong people come from? i never see them hardly at all but as soon as the season opens they got there whole extended families down there with them. i know that they come back right away after they get there limits and they do this 2-3 times a day. next one i see do that im turning them in. not to mention the DNR is down there quite a bit any how so i dont even know how its possible to even keep more then your limit in the bucket anyhow...

Maybe I wont even fish there and just keep tabs on how many fish people keep! then call TIP!

They are an over glorified Bullhead when it comes to eating but on a 3 or 4wt flyrod with a 2 lb tipit, will I guess you would have to do it to understand it.

what do you guys use for flys there about this time of year?? Tried it with the fly rod a couple times there but have not had much luck. I'd rather be in a stream in the boondocks by myself anyways, but it still is fun to catch them this close to home.

I like size 12-18 beadhead nymphs. Like Pheasant tails or a hare's ear. Psychos work too. I also like a yellow San Juan worm. Some times they take small yellow drys.

Double-dipping at the trout ponds...no different than all the ice-fisherman "bragging" about all the fish they catch DAY AFTER DAY(That comment is not necessarily pointed at those on this website). I believe it's a much bigger problem than we all think. Two years ago I placed the T.I.P. # in my cell phone speed dial and hope others have/will do the same.

It's on your license, in the regulations, and for most cellular phone users, you can dial #TIP

in all reality yes it it considered poaching by taking more then your daily bag limit but what if you put it to a good cause meaning instead of just throwing them up on shore and leaving them there instead bring them home and eat them. again i know its illegal to do that but im sure people do it all the time. but one of these times they will get caught and pay some good amount of $ for fines. and by me saying that im not saying i do that to sum things up.

im saying ive seen people take more then there limit home before but i never thought about calling the TIP hotline or doing anything about it. i know its its illegal and poaching eathier way. im not saying this only about trout. im saying this with any fish for that matter.like in the winter when ice fisherman catch a bunch of sunfish and crappies and throw them in a pile and leave them there on the ice vs. taking those fish home and taking more then your daily limit and putting them to a better cause for actually eating them. make sence?

Smalltown...I understand what you're trying to say and it still makes no sense. Sounds like you're trying to justify either double-dipping or taking an over-limit of fish and being o.k with it as long as the fish are eaten. T.I.P.

Rules and regulations are there for a reason. When people break these rules they should be punished, i.e. fines, lost license, etc. that is why T.I.P. exsists and why we have c.o. officers

I couldnt agree with you more drakes!!! If I see it i WILL definatly call!!!

smalltownboi,

By seeing illegal activity and turning a blind eye it is just aiding in more illegal activity happening in the future, with out someone reporting them to the DNR they will most likely keep doing this for years, there is alot of water out there and very few conservation officers.

I would encourage you to make the TIP call the next time you see this, even if your morally OK with it, it is still breaking the law and hurting our resources.

Sometimes it is hard to turn someone in. You see them leave the area with a limit of fish. Then they come back an hour later and start fishing again. It is your word against theres.

Agreed MD that it may be very hard to catch the person and ticket them, however a little visit from the DNR with some hinting that someone is watching will normally deter most people