• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The DNR has no problem with searching your residence if they are getting a T.I.P. that you may be over-limit. They sure look like happy campers every time they get their picture taken with freezer bag after freezer bag lined up on the ground.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Muddog

• smalltownboi2008

• zepman

• Team Otter

I will tell you what though, my father is very good friends with quite a few CO's and he says they have many ways of getting people to spill their guts. Usually only a knock on the door is all it takes.

And dont think about not answering your door because they have optics beter than anything most people own and they just sit a mile down your road and wait, very persistant!!!!

I have used TIP once before and it worked like a charm

I also have used TIP and the CO said he was going to pay the guy a vist at his home! The guy seriously kept like a 10 inch walleye out of season, and was trying to be stealthy by putting it in a bag and putting it in their van. I casually walked over and got the plate and called him in.

so what if u catch a limit of fish and your neighbor fishes also and gives u a bag of fish to eat? is that still considered being over your linit and poaching?...

Quote:
so what if u catch a limit of fish and your neighbor fishes also and gives u a bag of fish to eat? is that still considered being over your linit and poaching?...

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for trout, Fish you gave away still count as your limit!!!!!!!!!!

If you catch 5 trout and give them to the guy fishing next to you, your both done fishing becase you both have a limit. There is no party fishing in trout fishing.

so your saying if i catch 5 trout i cant fish for them anymore that day? what if u keep throwing them back and not keep any? are u saying i can still only catch 5 cause if i recall i can catch as many as i feel like if i do that. and what if you keep sorting them out in your bucket and exchanging them with bigger fish. yes u have your limit but the regulations dont say u have to stop fishing. you can just start throwing the rest back.

the other thing is im saying if your neighbor or whoever catches fish one day and brings them over to your house a day or 2 later yes u have fish in your freezer and does that count as a possesion limit and your neighbor can go back and fish or what?

From page 9 of the 09 fishing Regulations.

Once a daily or possession limit has been reached, no culling or live well sorting is allowed.

If you catch and release please use barbless hooks! (smash the barb down)

From page 10, This is what it says on line.

new • A person who stores fish for another must plainly mark the

package, in ink, with the name, address, and fishing license number of

the owner, and the number of fish in the package, the waterbody where

taken, and total length of each fish with a size limit.

page 12 of the booklet says.

Lawfully taken fish may be transferred as a gift if accompanied by a receipt containing: name and address of the owner, name and address of the recipieant, date of transfer, decription of the gift, and license number under which the fish was taken. The receipt must remain with the gift. The recipient cannot possess more then the statewide possession limit.

I have a question, I live in MN and what if you caught a limit of crappies which is 25 in Wisconsin and transport it over to mn will that be considered over the limit. Or to say I went over to Devils lake ND during the closed walleye season in MN and caught walleye there and transport it home (walleyes open all season in Devils lake) will those two be considered breaking the law.

No, you will have to prove that you have another states license and from there depends on who stops you.

It sounds like your looking for a loop hole. We are talking about the DNR here, not the police. You may need to prove your innoscnce if the DNR comes knocking on your door. Fishing is privilege you have to pay for and by doing so there are responsibilities. If someone is trying to take advantage of others by not following the roles they are just proving that they are not responsible at this time and should have there privilege denied until they can show they are capable of following roles.

Haveing a freezer full of fish only shows that someone dosen't like fresh fish! A truely good fisherman wouldn't need a freezer full of fish because if he wants to eat fish he knows he can go out and catch some.

im pretty sure no one does that when they recieve fish as a gift from a relative or neighbor. in most cases it just gets eaten anyway so dont u think its a waste of time putting all that information on the bag? does that go fo venison meat as well and any other kind of animal that u can hunt?

i honestly do not think if u catch your limit of fish in 1 day that your done fishing. who is going to know if u get a limit? unless you go around and brag about it. out of all the people on the lake maybe 2 people might know that u caught a limit but there is nothing saying that u cant keep fishing. u can just catch and release everything. but on the other hand if u have a limit already in your livewell thats a different situation.

i honestly do not think if u catch your limit of fish in 1 day that your done fishing. who is going to know if u get a limit? unless you go around and brag about it. out of all the people on the lake maybe 2 people might know that u caught a limit but there is nothing saying that u cant keep fishing. u can just catch and release everything. but on the other hand if u have a limit already in your livewell thats a different situation.

Yes, keeping and releasing are two different things.

I was always under the impression that a person could keep fishing and catching a certain species of fish as long as any over the limit is released. If this isn't correct then how do the bass guys keep fishing and culling in their tourneys?

I was always under the impression that a person could keep fishing and catching a certain species of fish as long as any over the limit is released. If this isn't correct then how do the bass guys keep fishing and culling in their tourneys?

Good question.

Wow!!!

The law that says ; Once a daily or possession limit has been reached, no culling or livewell sorting is allowed. It is somewhat new. It used to be no livewell sorting.

What Bass fisherman do is, If the limit is 6 fish, you keep 5 in the live well and cull through the 5. The strategy is that you well reach a point were you catch five good fish and have to decide if the sixth fish can be bettered or if it goes into the live well. A tournament can be won or lost on that decision alone.

Daily and possession limit are the same if there are none in your freezer! A fish is not in your possession untill it is in your livewell, stringer or basket. Oh and bucket!

Remember if your possession limit is 6 fish and you have 3 in your freezer, your daily limit is now 3 fish.

I don't think the bass guys do it that way Muddog but I may be incorrect. Maybe some of them can chime in here.

Well if they have a limit in the livewell and cull from there it would be illegal. Wouldn't it? I don't think a fishing tournament would condone illegal fishing.

Bass tournament limits are always 5. And you cull through those five throughout the day. And you bring your best five to the scale a the end of the day for weigh-in. I've never seen a 6 fish limit observed for tournaments in Minnesota. It's always a limit of 5. At least all the ones I've been a part of.

I've seen some 6-bass limits. The Faribo Chamber used to put on an early June contest on Cedar. We got beat one year because we thought it was a 5-fish limit and got beat by 1.4 pounds. (nothing in the written rules that I could find)

We won the next year though!

Most contests around here are team tournaments with a 5-fish limit. Which is well below the 12 fish two person limit. Also, most have a rule that state you can't have more than a tournament limit in your livewell at any given time (to help reduce fish stress).

I've seen some 6-bass limits. The Faribo Chamber used to put on an early June contest on Cedar. We got beat one year because we thought it was a 5-fish limit and got beat by 1.4 pounds. (nothing in the written rules that I could find)

We won the next year though!

Most contests around here are team tournaments with a 5-fish limit. Which is well below the 12 fish two person limit. Also, most have a rule that state you can't have more than a tournament limit in your livewell at any given time (to help reduce fish stress).

Thanks katoguy. Perfect explanation.

Excuse my early alzheimers please...I thought the limit on bass was 5. Clears things up perfectly.

Okay so back to the trout fishing and the ponds...i think this topic kinda got a little side-tracted and off topic although there has been some very useful information and nice knowing what is being talked about. so how many actually plan on going to the ponds on opener morning? how long do u think it will take until u get a daily limit? any guesses? i myself wont be down there. too crowded and i got to many things going on. ill give it a try on sunday night maybe.

I may go down and take a few pic of what is going on and post them here. I'll have a rod along just in case the bug bites. No fly rod though, I don't think i would have room to roll cast.