• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

"A Spring Cleaning" - An FM/HSO Get-Together!

I will also bring along a bunch of crawlers that we had left over from the Sturgeon Excursion that anyone can have some. I am guessing that there are around 8 dozen or so. The flat is starting to get a little rank in the garage and a little mold spot or two starting so it is time to get rid of them. Worms are in great shape!!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Team Otter

• Whisker Trout Slayer

• PDOGG

• Matt C

Sorry, didn't mean to make you fish on such a nice night! I wish I could join you but I have some not so manly daddy duties to attend to tonight!

I will also bring along a bunch of crawlers that we had left over from the Sturgeon Excursion that anyone can have some. I am guessing that there are around 8 dozen or so. The flat is starting to get a little rank in the garage and a little mold spot or two starting so it is time to get rid of them. Worms are in great shape!!

Rank and Moldy worms work on Crappies? I figured we would have to may another run up nort! smile

Ya Mike - Thanks for making me go fishing tonight, I am totally upset! laugh

I didn't know what we were targeting I though it was just panfish. I have caught crappie on worm before so who knows. It is the bedding or dirt that bad, the worms are fine. Just thought someone could use them or they are going into the trash.

If my buddy doesn't make it down before sunset I may just have to give ya a call... I'm off at 5

Prop is back on and water ready. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Again, don't forget something to grill and also remember garbage bags!

Pre-fished for a few hours today on Shields (not my favorite lake in the area).

Pretty much just trolled around looking for schools. Ended up with 2 dink crappies.

Water temps 57-60.

Found schools in 20-15 FOW.

Hit a few shallow holes, marked a few, no bites.

Water is very clear for that lake. Weed growth is on the move, about 6" to 1 foot off the bottom.

From what I observed, if you can stay vertical on them, you may have an OK success rate.

Just got off the phone with Mourneau, he was out and about also; Carp shootin. Said a few (crappies and sunnies)caught off a slew bridge into Shields.

Good luck tomorrow AM....the ramp/parking area is a pig pen!

See ya'll attending around 4pm.

sounds like it's gonna be a nice day tommorrow, look forward to meeting some of ya and wondering if there is anything i might need to or should bring? sounds like we bring our own chow and beverages, and just hope the fish will cooperate when we want them too

sounds like it's gonna be a nice day tommorrow, look forward to meeting some of ya and wondering if there is anything i might need to or should bring? sounds like we bring our own chow and beverages, and just hope the fish will cooperate when we want them too

Yes, bring something to grill, your own beverage and some garbage bags.

Simply put, at least from my perspective, another great FM/HSO Get-Together! We had successful clean-ups on Shields and Mazaska accompanied by tasty morsels off the grill. As for the fishing, the wind this afternoon made a decision for us and we opted for Tetonka. Good choice! We boated many nice crappies, 'gills, bullies and yes, even sheephead. Riverrat56, you have competition!

What some people are thinking when they visit, use and/or are leaving a public landing, I will never know. The sights we see during these clean-ups are unfortunate but nonetheless, we did our good deed. Thank you to all those who attended. It was nice to see some new faces as well as "the norm".

img0253r.jpg

img0252ikt.jpg

img0255g.jpg

img0256bcs.jpg

If any of you know someone on the Rice County Sportfishing Association, please let me know. I'd like to drop them a note and let them know of our efforts. Thank you.

Yes, the fishing. Some put on a clinic while others heckled but there is no doubt we all had a good time. One thing's for sure; if you have a fly rod, bring it along; HINT, HINT. The other thing, at least in my boat, is that color was everything today and of course, plastics only. Morneau132 stuck with charteuse while I ran through the entire color spectrum and finally settled on pink. Let's just say he ran at the front of the pack all day. There were some darn nice fish caught today. There will be quite a few frying pans happy tomorrow or yet tonight!

img0257tlq.jpg

img0259svp.jpg

img0258fpg.jpg

IOWA Resident - Whisker Trout Slayer

Living up to his FM user name...

img0260szk.jpg

I drove out to shields to see ya'll but missed you!

as for your pictures what has to be going through your head when you dump a t.v and a fan at a public access! that is a sad deal a special thank you for all of you who attended

HEY NOW TO you forgot to mention that I did not catch ANY of those bullheads, Mud dog's buddy Tom caught all of them and put on a show!! All I did was clean them for some of our grandparents, which eventually be exchanged for BAKED GOODS!! Good tradeoff in my opinion.

A Chartuse Mini Mite was my jig of choice under slip bobber.

It is amazing as to how pure lazy people are and are a bunch of slobs. It is too bad we couldnt figure out who dumped some of that stuff and go put it back in their front yard with a sign that says "I am a slob because I dumped this junk at the boat landing insteadof properly disposing of it!!"

See you next month as I can't make the next GTG at Madison.

HEY NOW TO you forgot to mention that I did not catch ANY of those bullheads, Mud dog's buddy Tom caught all of them and put on a show!! All I did was clean them for some of our grandparents, which eventually be exchanged for BAKED GOODS!!

Oh yeah, how could I forget. Ha!

Glad you guys had fun and thank you all for your efforts, good to see you were rewarded by mother nature even if it was a sheepie! grin Thanx bunt 4 keeping me posted 2day and Ill get a hold of you if I stumble apon any "emergency bites" 2mo a.m. smile

looks like everyone had a goodtime. i have yet to make it to a get together but i have a really busy shedule and dont get much time of from work and all. i will try my hardest to make it to the next one possibly out on madison lake but no garantees. seems like fishing was decent but could have been better. it dissappoints me to see a tv and a fan in the lake as well. who would honestly do something like that. if nothing else why cant people just properly dispose of it or give it to a thrift store?

Definitely a good time was had.

If you have never attended a GTG, I highly recommend it. But wear boots because "it" can get awfully deep sometimes smile

It was a pleasure fishing with you guys and meeting some more new people. Just wish I wouldn't have had to bum out early to figure out some personal [PoorWordUsage], but oh well.

PS DELICIOUS suppper last night. (pannies, not bullheads)

would hip boots/swampwalkers or chestwaders be an option to wear? or is that overkill?

it dissappoints me to see a tv and a fan in the lake as well. who would honestly do something like that. if nothing else why cant people just properly dispose of it or give it to a thrift store?

Genuine lack of respect for the outdoors and what it has to offer. We, as sportsmen and women, are bigger than that though and we need to continue doing our part.

I did wear my boots!

Boy did Tom M, have fun with the Bullheads. He was as happy as a 8 year old with a Batman rod. As for myself I am hard pressed the remember the last time I caught that many gills as big as my hand or bigger in that short of a time. This was my bait of choice.

cid_441.jpg

I didn't tie it. I think I found it at Fleet farm. South bend or something like that. I used it because of the color more then anything else.

I'll see some of you later today.

Crappies-n-Cats,

Hope everything goes well for you. Let me knwo if you ever want to hit up Fountain or Albert Lea Lake.

WTS

will do WTS, nice meeting you yesterday. Hope the bullheads for "your relatives" were delicious smile

It seemed like everytime we looked over at Muddog and Tom that Muddog was either battling a huge gill or Tom was reeling in a bullhead. not just any bullhead though, i don't think i've ever seen that many HUGE bullheads (well outside of all the guys in the boats around).

Thanks for all the laughs

Looks like everyone had a blast!

I'm sorry I missed it but the weather cooperated for you guys that way!

Thanks to everyone for doing the lake clean ups.

will do WTS, nice meeting you yesterday. Hope the bullheads for "your relatives" were delicious smile

It seemed like everytime we looked over at Muddog and Tom that Muddog was either battling a huge gill or Tom was reeling in a bullhead. not just any bullhead though, i don't think i've ever seen that many HUGE bullheads (well outside of all the guys in the boats around).

Thanks for all the laughs

What is your email? or cell?

let me know when you've jotted it down and i will edit my post and get rid of it. if you email me i'll email you back with my cell number.

CNC

You can delete your email now, email on the way.

yes a good time was had by all, i just wish i could have done more catching. was fun to put some faces to the names also. thanks to Jeremy for letting me join him in his boat, it sure beat fishing alone