• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Superior North shore Streams Fishing Reports

How are the Northshore streams looking? I assume they are pretty clear by now. I have a couple days this next weekend free and thinking of making a trip down, but don't want to drive 1 1/2 hours each way for nothing if I can help it.

Drove by a few yesterday and looked like the wind had blown a lot of the ice away from shore The Knife River still had lots of snow and ice at the mouth, and what was running was pretty brown with runoff. Saw a couple guys at the Lester, but otherwise didn't see anyone. Temps are going to be up all week, so that should help open things up.

Probably people here that know much more than I do though...

Fished this afternoon for a bit. Started at the Lester where a few guys said they saw 1 or 2 fish in the river early in the day. Water temp was just above freezing. Also stopped by the Sucker. Water is suprisingly low and colder than the Lester.

We are looking at some decent weather this week so I hope things look up towards the end of the week.

I went down to the North Shore with the family this weekend and saw a few guys fishing the Knife, and in Superior where the river dumps in. Heres a dumb question, what are they fishing for, and can you catch fish there this time of year, my sons want to go there this weekend, but I have no idea what we would be fishing for? I was going to take them when I knew the loopers would be running, but this looks like a great weekend to get out.

Steelhead and Kamloops. Both are strains of lake or sea run Rainbow Trout. Size runs say 3 to 10#, fun fish grin

Thanks, they looked like some were throwing lures, and some were bobber fishing, any specific techniques that work better than others? Im thinking it would be easier with my kids to get bobbers out, if you know what I mean smile

Out in the lake, bobbers or a worm and slip sinker rig works well. Inflate the worm to float off the bottom with the slip sinker and the bobber rig a small jig with a wax worm about 3 feet down works well.

In the river drifting spawn bags or yarn flies is the norm, may not be the best option for younger kids.

also, be sure to read up on the superior and tributary regs, as they are diferent from inland lakes, some species are catch and release only.

-good luck!

your best luck with kids is probably a river mouth. try the french.

I just read the regs they are confusing, it looks like the steelhead and the loopers are the only ones in season right now, except the salmon right?

i think you have to release unclipped steelies. so you need to know the difference between loopers and them and you may catch some cohos.

I fished the French last Sunday morning. I had no luck and didn't see anyone else catch anything. Wish I had better news.

All unclipped Steelhead have to be released. At the river mouths there will be some Salmon and both strains of Rainbows. In the rivers you will again find both strains of Rainbows.

Heard from fishermans corner that there has been some fish in the lester and the knife has a pile of ice in it.

Hmm, Lester huh? I was hoping to hear a report from a few of the streams up a bit further. Baptism, Stewart, Split Rock etc.

But if they are in the rivers closer Duluth that is actually a bit closer.

Hey guys I have been looking to get into doing some trout fishing. Just wondering if anyone out there would mind me tagging alone to show me how its done. I live up on the range but willing to meet down on the rivers for some fishing... Anyone don't mind just let me know

Gary

I saw a big red superduty ford parked by one of the rivers today and I heard he knows how to fish pretty good too. Any reports?

Steve

thedeadsea,

I'm not sure how I missed your post because I read the one before yours. I happen to know someone that drives a red superduty. I've been fishing with him many times and I'm not really sure he knows what he's doing. I think he just play a fishermen on T.V. grin

Hunter21,

I don't fish the rivers myself but if you have any interest in learning how to fish for Loopers and Coho's from shore I would be more then happy to show you any of the methods used for that.

I would even be able to have a conversation about Buhl and Chisholm for that matter. My dad still lives in Chisholm and I was on Chisholm fire while I lived there.

lester isn't is not great idk why everybody is down there maybe i just get there at the wrong time but i have not seen a fish caught in awhile

BD110 Im game for any fishing. I actually went to school with Buffelhead and Thedeadsea. Just didn't realize who they were on here. LOL But ya im game for anything I'm still laid off for the year so i wanna do as much fishing as possible. just send me an email and let me know when you go

[email protected]

Hunter,

It's may plan to get out any morning this week were we have good enough weather. If you're interested and would like to make the trip just let me know. You can post something here or e-mail me what ever works best for you.