• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Which Landing?????

Hey guys finally got the trip planned heading up Early Fri Morn, fishing Fri and part of Sat. then head home for Easter to keep the family happy (if thats even possible). Just curious which landing would be the best to use? We will be staying in Baudette. I know they are all open but is one area better than others, far as fishing or being busier than others thanks for any advice or input. This will only be my second year up and last year we fished by Birchdale and in front of Frontier.

Not a bad idea to fish the area you already know but if you're staying in town, you can fish an extra hour/day if you ramp there. Take your pick. Should have 4 or 5 ramps open by then so crowd should be spread out.

Where is the ramp in town and would that be a smarter place to go rather than out to Frontier or Birch? Royal, I do feel more comfortable going where I have been before but always open to try something new. I only know where Frontier Vidas and Birch are. We were going to try to stay with you guys but you didnt have rooms for Fri night unfortunately. Rather would have stayed with you than where we are. Thanks for any advice andbe safe.

I'm guessing Vidas will be the busiest. Ramps will probably be less busy as you go east. I'd land where you wanna fish.

There is a landing at Timbermill Park, where you see the ball fields East of Baudette. The "Baudette Bay" ramp can be seen from the bridge in town. Don't confuse the dock by the VFW for the ramp which is a block or 2 on down. Not sure when the bay will open though.

Wish we could have gotten you in! Worse things than being full though!

"Wish we could have gotten you in! Worse things than being full though!"

It was a late decision to get rooms reserved kinda figured you would be full. One of these times you wont be full when I call. Maybe I will see you on the river good luck.

I think I will just head to Frontieras I am kinda familiar with that area. Just one question though, The closer to the lake with the fish just comeing into the river would it be better to go closer towards the lake?

Looking for a landing some what user friendly, never fished the river and I will be with my girlfriend(if that spells it out. Any help would be great.Any resorts on the river that let you launch there, landings with docks yet? Thanks

Ryan,

I take my wife who loves to fish up there quite often. Problem is she won't run the boat or back the trailer down the ramp. Launch where you want to fish espically if you have a smaller boat. Vidas is my favorite as the seasons end creeps up on us. The ramp there is very nice with plenty of parking.

Not sure about the docks. A 4x4 is a good idea for landing at some of these ramps espicaly in the morning. They can become somewhat icy after a few boats have launched. I always bring a 5 gal pail with some sand for traction just in case it gets too bad. Sometimes there's a pile by the ramp also. If you do slide backward don't panic...ride it out until you're back tires hit the water and where theres no ice. I've pulled a couple guys up the ramp so having a strap/chain ain't a bad idea too. They forcast the rest of the walleye season to be pretty mild so hopefully this won't be a problem.

For you're first time up there my best advice is to kinda watch and learn from others.

Good Luck!

-Andy

I fished the river for the first time this year, and it's really not as hard as many people make it out to be. Ramps are perty good, fish are in holes relative to surrounding areas, and bring plenty of 1/4-1/2 ounce jigs and either chubs or emeralds, if you can find 'em.

I agree that best ramp for you would be Vidas. There are 2 ramps and they both became almost totally ice free yesterday.

The Frontier ramp is a nice easy grade but not square with the river so a bit tricky 1st time.

Don't be afraid to ask someone to handle either your boat or truck for you. Most will give a hand. Don't expect there to be docks at any of the landings. You will have to pull your boat up on shore.

None of the ramps are busy (by Spring Rainy standards) so don't worry about that.

I'm guessing things will be busy by Friday. With all the ramps open, and big crowds, would there still be long waits?