• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rumor on Pelican Lake??

A few people have been telling me that pelican has been recently opened to liberized fishing(the taking of all the fish you want) because of the draining of the lake in the future. I have never heard of anything on this and told them there full of Hogwash. Has anyone else heard of this cause I need to set these guys straight!

As said several times. If it is opened to liberalized fishing signs would be posted at access points that say that. Rumors of this have been going around for months.

DOOM,

wareagle is from the DNR and has a post about this rumor and it not being true!

Click Here And Please Read!

Fisherman1526:

We were out there yesterday and the O2 levels were 3.2 ppm on the south end and 4.4 ppm on the north end. O2 levels haven't changed much from last week. We will continue to monitor the O2 levels and go from there.

To all Pelican Lake anglers: We (DNR) have not opened the lake up to liberalized fishing. Unless, you have talked to someone from the Montrose Area Fisheries Office or have read it on the DNR Website under liberalized fishing, the lake is not open to liberalized fishing and the regular statewide limits apply.

If you see people keeping over their limit please call the TIPS hotline (1-800-652-9093) and turn them in. When making the call follow these rules: 1) don't confront the individual, 2) get a description of their vehicle and license plate number, 3) give a description of the person, and 4) describe what the violation is and if it is happening at the present time. This will help our CO's out a lot.

War Eagle!!!

Originally Posted By: wareagle
eyewitness,

Since DNR - Wildlife has managment jurisdiction over the lake, we will leave the fishery alone until we see the need to open it up. My guess is that once the lake is drawn down to either the initial drawdown level of 950 ft (approx 2015) or the temporary drawdown level of 944 ft (2017 - 2020) that the lake will probably experience a winterkill. At that time we will talk to wildlife and probably open it up.

As part of our winter DO testing schedule, we will continue to monitor the oxygen levels in the winters to come and try to keep people informed so we don't have a repeat of the situation this year with all the rumors that the lake was opened to liberalized fishing. As I mentioned in a previous response, if you didn't hear it from the Montrose Fisheries office or seen it on the DNR website (http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/liberalized/index.html) then it is just a rumor.

Cheers,

War Eagle!!!

Thank You all. I will print this out and show it to them. I don't know where they got their info from.

People have brought that up a few times its scary to think what people will do off of a rumor

Rumor has it there is some great deals on ocean front property in Arizona. Get it while it lasts. grin

Its something like a 5 year plan they are executing now to get to a point where the DNR would be allowed to drain it. Until its got final approval for drainage, they won't liberalize it. Enjoy the next few years. :-)