• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just wondering if the lake is opening up at all yet and how many plan on heading up that way for the opener

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ortonville

• coop09

• new_kid

• jnorm1984

I'm planning for the border opener on the 18th. I'm having my doubts though. Last year was a real letdown, only being able to fish about 1/2 mile of open water with the rest of it still iced up. Could it really happen 2 years in a row??

I really hope its out, probably going regaurdless. Went last year and only fished the 30 yards of open water in front of the cabin, and enjoyed an early spring swim to the edge of the ice and back , sure would like to put the boat in this year tho.. But if not ,i got a good group a guys the shoot the sh*t with and get away for the weekend..

WITH A HUNTING CABIN IN STARBUCK, I WAS THINKING OF MAKING THE RUN TO BIG STONE ON THE 18TH, AS WELL. CAN I EXPECT A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF CURRENT ON THIS LAKE OR IS THAT NOT REALLY A FACTOR?

I would agree with buddha the current is not realy an issue atleast it has never been for me i am just hopeing that the ice is off the lake does anyone know if the ice is still holding on up there or is the open water starting to take over lets all hope its getting more open water than ice

no the ice is not gone yet but i think it is real close.the south end is open.then there is a 200 yard wide open spot from the penn to the south dakota side.a big open strech by meadow brook. a 300 or 400 yard open spot from salomsons point to shady beach.that was last night now tonight after work it looks real black. a little wind and warm weather i say it will be ice free by sunday evening we will see

When is the opener out there and what depths would you look for the walleyes?

Ortonville thanks for the update i hope you can keep them comming i realy appreciate it

Bigstone and Traverse open next weekend on the 18th. I would say the fish will be shallow along the rocks.

Thanks for the info I will head that way and do a little C&R after the 18th

the ice looks in rough shape more hole opening up all the time i am still saying that by 2:00 pm sunday it will be ice free if not before that

Hey ortonville, when is the best time to catch some perch and whitebass at Big Stone. Thinking about bringing the kids there in mid May or June for a little action. Any info would be helpful.

the silvers and sheephead always bite. the best for perch i think is late august and september into october.the ice was still not gone when i went to work at 4:00 but it has gotten windy and i hope that will helpout i still say 2:00 on sunday

from the foot to lagoona it is ice free.from lagoona to meadowbrook it is broke up and just floating chunks.then from there to about lou point it is solid ice,then for a couple miles it is ice free again,then to mallard point it is boke up ice but still hanging in there.i turned around at mallard and came home.it wont be long maybe another 24 hours, i was off by about a day by saying 2:00 today

thanks for the updates ortonville it is nice to know whats going on up there with the ice being as the opener is so close

i didnt get a chance to look at the lake last night worked till dark,now tonight i have a firemans meeting.but it did get to 60ish or better today.forecast for tommorrow is 60 and 25 to 35 mph winds out of the south.so it will be out. i will get a chance on wednesday night to look it over.so i am sure that it will be gone but even if it isnt there will be more than enough open water to fish.it should be a decent bite i think,might not be big fish but the eater males should be biteing.jig and a minnow shallow

Modias sattelite showes Traverse and Big Stone ice free, come saturday morning let the games begin.

I was just wondering if there was any sort of shore fishing to be had. A friend of mine and I would like to take part in the border opener if we could since its our senior year in South Dakota, but we don't have a boat. If there was any kinda of chance at getting an 'eye or 2 from shore any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Never fished Big Stone before...

been in 60s last couple days with a south wind lake should be completely open by the weekend if not before and fishing i think will be decent.water temps will still be a bit cool but should still be decent number of fish caught. for those inquiring about places to fish from shore there are spots along both sides of the lake but if weather is decent could be many people trying it from shore, including myself and my two boys and possibly my nephew.

Wow is the fishing on Big Stone that good that you would drive all the way there from Bloomington?

yes the ice on bigstone is gone.it has been ice free since about noon.the shore bite is some times the best for the first week or so.i did hear from a deputy sheriff that lives on traverse that it was still iced uped as of tuesday night he didnt think that it would be gone for opener.but that is just hear say as i have not seen it with my own eyes.i will be on the water all day saturday

Thanks Ortonville for the updates....planning on being there midnight Friday night.....probably going to start north of Mallard point and go from there....goodluck to everyone!!