• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake slobs: Anglers leave a mess on the ice

I will be going out fishing/trash collecting on Saturnday.

The plan is to get out 10:00am and fish then later in the afternoon around 2-3pm start some trash collecting. I will provide the bags all you would need to bring is gloves and your ice fishing gear and bring ice cleats! This will most likely be the last good weekend of good ice. I would like as many people as possible. So lets end the 08-09 ice seaon on a good note with some good fishing and cleaning the lake.

Possibile lake destinations:

-Madison

-Tetonka

-Jefferson

Lets hear your input!

Oh the weather is going to be awesome on sat! 50's sunny with a light 8-10 mph wind!

Just got back from a drive around/clean-up. Duck was cleaned up already. I picked up on Ballentyne and the North access on Washington. Stopped by the Dnr landing on Madison, Was going to clean it up also, but my truck was full from the other two. That will be a load by itself.

Unable to help you out this weekend, But you can check the 3 off your list.

FYI, Nobody was fishing on Washingtion,Duck or Ballentyne. DNR access was full of vehicles. Monkey see-Monkey do action going on over there as everyone is in a 100ft circle, North side of the east bay. As for the ice/landing conditions, Most shores/landings had open water. Take a plank. East side of Buckmasters has open water. Time to get the bigger rods out.

Now for some NCAA BB and beer. I'm tired!

Lonnie

That's a great Idea. Although I do it everytime I go out. Last Tuesday I had enough to fill the rack up on the wheeler. It's amazing how much trash is left behind.

Nice article in the Free Press today KTapper. Way to get this out in the public and let others know about this "problem"...and again, thanks for your effort in cleaning up some of our lakes. Job well done!!

Great idea with the clean up. I would have loved to help but with my knee replacement surgery, its tough getting around right now.

Nice article in the Free Press today KTapper. Way to get this out in the public and let others know about this "problem"...and again, thanks for your effort in cleaning up some of our lakes. Job well done!!

Zep, where did you find the article in the Free Mess? I don't see it.

click on the sports section and its one of the tabs says something like lake washington clean up

hopefully some of the slobs read it thats crazy on the amount of [PoorWordUsage] you cleaned up cant people take it with them in there garbage thanks to all that cleaned up i missed out this year next year hopfully make it out there.

Very nice article - well done. I'm glad you got the publicity. Keep up the great work - this resource is too fragile and too nice to ruin.

Nice job, i would think this would get the idea in some people's heads to pack out what you take in

Great job KTapper!

I'm not sure what the solution to this is, cleaning up is great but it is only a band aid for a much bigger problem that stems from laziness and uncaring people. I would like to think that further education of people is the answer, but I don't know anyone who doesn't know that it isn't acceptable to litter.

Maybe they need to post signs at the public access telling people what the fine is and what kind of damage can be done leaving this stuff out there. Especially the bathroom waste. Yuk!

it s the same down here beer cans plastic bags you name it. It s to bad some have to make the rest of us look like a bunch of a**holes!! MY only wish is for law enforcement to put the smack down on these individuals.

Kevin,

Finally was able to read the whole article, good write up.

It is still pretty disgusting that people do this type of stuff, and I about guarantee you that they don't do this at their own homes. I say if we figure out who left the garbage on the lakes dump it back in their front yards.

As for the sign deal, it sounds like a pretty simple plan but the thing is, from working park patrol when I work for our county conservation department, people don't read the signs even if it had the amount of the fine on it. the answer we always got when we wrote people up was oh I didn't see any signs that said I couldn't do that. But the thing is people KNOW the law on littering and shouldn't need a sign to remind them!!

Ok I am done now.

Great job on the clean ups.

There are some that will never learn. We can only hope to teach all the younger fisherman to dispose of their trash correctly.

Harvey Lee has a great point. By teaching the next generation to keep the lakes clean and dispose of their garbage this could be something that could make a differnce.

Chapter 54 Muskies Inc did a lake clean up on French 2 weeks ago and MAN was that lake a mess! My 2 girls [6-8] picked up a full bag just at the landing. 5 bags total but we bring our kids with to help and I think the kids cleaning that day will never turn into Ice Slobs. Some of the stuff you find out there is just gross, and I'll just leave it at that.

oh I didn't see any signs that said I couldn't do that... shocked

You have got to be kidding....people actually said they didn't know it was illegal to litter!!!! crazy

Well I guess you wouldn't be kidding, but that is ridiculous.

Didn't they have any parents, guardians, teachers...any kind of person who would have told them it is just wrong.

Although serveral years ago, my brother-in-law stopped at a fast food with a boy scout troop, and they were ready to toss the bags out the window....he told them to just toss it on the floor and I will throw it in the trash when we get to the camp.

He couldn't believe that boy scouts had never heard they couldn't do that.

What is it with 1 lb. propane cylinders. I always seem to be picking them up off lakes. I got three off Gull last weekend plus alot of other junk. Oh and just a friendly tip, don't use treated wood to block up your ice shacks, as there are chemicals that could leech out. I seen alot of treated blocking laying around that I picked up.

get used to it Shaun! Up in the metro area i see a lot of the 1 lb. propane cylinders frozen into the ice where people shove them down holes and attempt to keep them down. I have also picked up a few myself numerous times this winter. I have also spotted piles of keeper gills left on the ice on Spring and Prior Lake. Such a waste of good fish is horrible.

took a walk around German trying to shore fish but no docks or parks are open so on my walking i picked up some trash only had shopping bags but the trash is really bad up here never saw this much. wow