• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Creating a Website

brady_d

Question

I'm thinking about starting up a small business and want to have a website when I get it up and running. I have been researching for a little while on how to create a website. Just wondering if anyone out there has experience with creating websites and could give me any pointers? What are the best places to host the site through?

6 answers to this question

I use 1and1 internet service. They have tools that make it easy to create a site. You can also get way into and use joomla if you have the time to figure it all out. It helps make a nicer site, but the standard package worked for me. I think I got three domains for $10 a month through them.

The easiest way to learn is to purchase a web template from a company. Basically, you buy a pre-made website and just imput your information and photos. Very easy to do and a great way to learn about websites. It'll cost you $15 to $50 but well worth it IMO. Just google website template and browse for something you like.

network solutions has a package for hosting for $5 bucks a month for a small static site 1 page and 1 email address.

They have tools to create your own site on line and then register it with search engines, incorporate Pay pal, and a bunch of other stuff. If you get stuck they have people that will assist or finish the job. Basically it isn't that tough with their design model for beginners.

Starter Site

5 pages

2 e-mailboxes

$9.95 month

with annual purchase

This includes the domain name purchased from them. It's a good deal.

I have two sites, one for my main business, the second exclusively for ecommerce.

Lots of options out there and you can get over whelmed. Ask yourself what are you trying to accomplish then do some research on site design for that area. Check out other sites for ideas.

Many hosts have the built-it-yourself feature and that is a good way to go if you want to be involved through the whole process.

You can also have somebody do it for you (check C.L.), but it will cost you and you won't learn how to make changes, which is something you will want to do.

I just used Microsoft Publisher and created my sites in HTML then found a good host (Hawkhost) for the business site. The ecommerce site is currently done through Yahoo Merchant Solutions, though I will be switching to something else in two months.

Good luck. It's fun and fairly easy to do. Be prepared to spend a few long nights working on it smile

Thanks for the replies guys. I have got a lot of work cut out for me it looks like!!!

Sandmannd, For the three domains you got, do you also get three different websites hosted for that one price? I think I will try to do all the work myself, using a template, to save money on the thing. (And I still have free time being laid off)

Yea brady, I get to build three sites. Check out www.riverdansguideservice.com. He's a sponsor here so I can post it. It's one I did. Pretty simple site, but serves it's purpose. You also get around 100 email addy's to split between the domains and can build 10 pages per domain. You can also make subdomains as well. It's a really good service and using their "webiste" builder you can do quite a bit.