• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Good walleye lakes in metro with less traffic

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can direct me to some lakes (doesn't matter the size) that offer decent to good Walleye fishing in the metro area. I would prefer these locations be on lakes that see less traffic. Any locations would be nice though. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

The only lakes I know of like that in the metro are the Minneapolis city lakes. They have good walleye populations but the catch is parking and electric motors only. The rest of the metro lakes are quite crowded.

Just don't eat anything out of the Minneapolis lakes. They have all sorts of 3M chemicals piled in those lakes. They are very good for all sorts of fish because people who know anything know better then to eat them.

There was a big thing not too long ago about high levels of some 3M chemical being found in fish out of the 3 major lakes. Those chemicals along with all the other inner city toxins.

Just don't eat anything out of the Minneapolis lakes. They have all sorts of 3M chemicals piled in those lakes. They are very good for all sorts of fish because people who know anything know better then to eat them.

There was a big thing not too long ago about high levels of some 3M chemical being found in fish out of the 3 major lakes. Those chemicals along with all the other inner city toxins.

Which lakes are we talking? Calhoun, Harriet, Nakomis, lake of the isle?

all of those are decent for walleyes, though I've never targeted them. They have good populations of larger fish in them too.

I would not eat anything out of any Minneapolis lake after the DNR reported lots of 3M chemicals in panfish, which are usually the safest to eat

The report about the 3M chemicals were from Calhoun, Harriet, Nokomis, lake of the isle and Cedar. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.

That is good to know. I will not eat anything out of there. Is it safe if you cut out the belly portion and the bottom half of the meat? Some guy told me on Lake Superior that is what they do with Salmon and Lake Trout? Just wondering thanks a bunch SLL

The distribution of PFOS is uneven in the Metro area. Here's a link to which lakes the MN Dept of Health have tested for Perfluorooctane Sulfonate (PFOS) (the asterisked lakes have none to negligible amounts, but you should still check for PCBs and mercury):

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/fish/eating/testedwaterspfcs.html

If you are eating your fish you should always check the fish consumption advisory for that particular lake. Some of the fish from seemingly pristine lakes up north have a bit of mercury in them; the mercury is a by-product of mining operations decades ago.

Here's a general advisory from the MN Dept of Health:

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/fish/eating/safeeating.html

Mercury in fish info from the FDA/EPA:

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/admehg3.html

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~frf/sea-mehg.html

Funny to think we can get worried about a little crappie from the Mississippi when the Swordfish steak in a fancy restaurant could potentially be loaded with much more mercury...

Here is one of the best ways to find un-pressured wallaye waters around the metro, you probably wont get to many people to talk about small unpressured lakes holding walleyes here on the forums, and if they were talked about they would not be un-pressured lakes for long.

First, use g00gle maps or some other mapping service to look around the metro and pick out a handfull of lakes that are small and look to be unpressured. Once you have a list of lakes to check, use the DNR Lakefinder to look up survey/netting information on each of the lakes you found. If walleyes show up in the nets in good numbers or decent size, it is definatly worth a shot, many of these lakes dont hold huge numbers but can grow some really big fish! Its kinda like trial and error but you got an advantage already by knowing your on the type of lake you are looking for and that is does have walleyes in it.

To throw a few names out there, Steiger in Victoria may or may not hold numbers of walleyes, but I believe they would be above average size as this lake is C&R only so it wouldnt work if you want to eat them. Lake Rebecca is rumored to have some nice eyes with a bonus of occational musky, they manage this lake to strip the eggs and stock other lakes with musky, and I believe its electric motor only. Long Lake in Long Lake(west metro near wayzata/orono) has walleyes, hardly anyone fishes for them but they are not real high in numbers, this lake get kinda busy on nice days with pleasure boaters but hardly anyone fishes this lake on a regular basis, I live right by it but hardly ever go out there.

Good luck with your quest, like I said, find some small lakes that fit your style and have walleyes and start hunting, you will be rewarded.

Sounds good chad. I will look around. I try my best to locate unknown lakes. I have done well on clearwater lake. I caught quite a few walleyes there several times. They were mostly 14-18 inches, the biggest being 23. But I caught probably 8-10 just trolling a rapala. I was fishing for anything but ran into walleyes each time. Pretty good pike and bass fishing there too. I've heard people catch crappies, but I've never personally tried.

So you glow a little after eating fish? It cuts down on the electric bill.

If they think metro lake have chemicals in them. 3M dumped barrels and barrels of things bigger lakes in hopes it would not be found out. Yet, people fish from those lakes. People have eaten fish from the mississippi r. for years makes a good preservative. smile I have eaten walleyes from metro lakes, I'll maybe out grow you, even with the 3rd eye. LOL

Chad gives some great advice on unpressured lakes. And the Minneapolis lakes are a good option too. I haven't fished them in the past couple of years, & it takes some time to learn them, but is certainly worth it if you have the patience & time.

I wouldn't worry about eating a fish out of them once in a while. Moderation in all things.

I have to agree with Chad as well. The tools are out there. Sometimes I take lunch at my desk at work and just try to find some lakes I would like to hit on certain cites named after numbers and then check those lakes using the DNR lake finder to see what kind of a lake they are and what's in them. It takes a little time, but the rewards can be really, really good.

I wouldn't worry about eating a fish out of them once in a while. Moderation in all things.

Chad has givin you best advise out. As for eating the fish, I follow the minnnesota health depart. for my clients, when they wise keep fish. In which they changed some of the ways fish are tested, they don't include the spine anymore. If you remove the red meat from the fillets your even better off.

There are many under fished lakes around the metro. Some may take some time to unlock the secret to catching those fish. Once you find the pattern, you'll have the lake to yourself, as long as other have not figured your pattern.

Best of luck, If you catch a good would like to see pic's.

Though not a lake I would add Pool 2 of the Mississippi river. Not much pressure out there once the lakes open up and definitely your best chance for a 8-10lb. eye in the metro.