• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Heading up to Elephant soon, anyone have any pointers on areas and depths to try for late ice pannies. Never fished Elephant before, so I'm looking for a head start on where to start. Also interested at surrounding lakes like Black Duck, Carlson, Moose, Myrtle, and Ash. If you don't want to post, just shoot me an email. Thanks in advance.

fisherdog,

We lived in Fargo for a while some years back,so we have been over in the Detroit Lakes area many times,it has been a few years since my last visit,but you know as well as I do that your area has some of the very best fishing there is and not just in Mn,so maybe you're just looking to change things up a bit?.Don't get me wrong I love the vermillion Elephant lake area,that is where I have been going the last three winters,maybe Cliff will see your post and can give you some info,there is nobody with any better knowledge of the Range area then Cliff.

Thanks Frank but I can't help in Elephant Lake. Never fished it! Will some day though because there are supposed to be some very nice panfish in it!

Cliff

Cliff,

Oh ok,I almost fished Elephant once,a few winters back right before I met you,seems like they had bad ice on Elephant that winter or I couldn't find a house to rent can't remember for sure,but that wouldn't count as fishing it LOL,so I can't help out on this one,maybe paul Pollock or somebody else can help on this one....fisherdog,Wow I live in Broken Arrow,Ok just east of Tulsa.I went to OSU in Stillwater for a while so I know it pretty well,that's been some years back though,great Ag program there,me being an AG Met that time at OSU has served me well...So how did you end up at Stillwater?

Came via New Jersey on a baseball scholarship. Played 4 years there 91-95. Loved it there and had lots of land to quail hunt and fish.

He sure is, hardcore at 4 years old! Any tips on area late ice pannies?

lots should be hanging out in the deep water areas still.. look for points neckdowns and holes near islands close to a shallow dark bottom bay i would try as thats where most of them will be in about a month..

I've never fished elephant either.. 1 tip I can give you.. even if your not seeing fish in the holes you just drilled drop some meat down and give em a chance for a couple minutes.. they aren't always suspended