• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Landowner list and finding a place to hunt.

DRH1175

How exactly does the landowner list work. I always just hunt public land. If you are hunting another season than what they hunted can they say no? I have never had much luck gaining permission in the past. I didn't get drawn in 236c where I usually hunt by home. But got a surplus tag in 346b down by winona. I have however, never hunted down there.Anyone have any ideas as to where to hunt?

If they are on the list, they have to let you hunt, sort of. They are allowed to deny permission based on how many acres they have, how many birds, and how many hunters they have already given permission to. So it leaves them a lot of outs to deny you by saying they have X number of hunters already coming out when they really don't.

In my experience the landowners on the list are very unlikely to let you hunt before them. So in your case, since you have a "B" tag, unless they have an "A" season tag, good luck, but some guys with lots of acres still might let you go.

They can also say, "oh, we don't have that many birds, plus we already have 4 other guys coming out too". When in reality there is no one else and they have tons of birds.

It is a case where some landowners want a tag every year, but don't want to let anyone hunt. They shouldn't put in for that preference then, its [PoorWordUsage]. If you have a ton of trouble remind them that they are supposed to let you hunt, and since you have a B tag there can't be that many others there before you so there should be enough birds. Get in touch with the local CO if you are having a ton of trouble. My dad and I were eligible for landowner preference in the past but never used it since we didn't want to have to let others on out place. To me its greedy to want the tag and then not let people on. We're up by North Branch/Sunrise and there are tons of landowners on the list that will for sure turn you down. When I tried getting some permission for exta spots getting turned down by people on the list got old real quick, and I was hunting season G-H with my bow.

Thanks, I was going to try to contact some of the land owners that hunt the A season, hoping that because they were done that I would maybe have a chance. Otherwise I guess public land it is. Thanks for your input. I usually hunt up in 236 by Forest lake where I live. But I just can't miss a season so thus why I bought the surplus tag. For a different area.

johnsd16 has hit it right on the head. It's very hard to get permission from alot of these land owners to hunt on their property. All they will say is that they have other people hunting on their land and you are shut out.The land owner tag system is an abused system in my opion anyway. Half of the people I know that get landowner tags don't even hunt on their own land because thay have no turkeys on their land to even hunt in the first place! Just a way to get a tag.

DRH shoot me an email at rrgierke at yahoo dot com. I have hunted down there for several years and have land owner and public land contacts that I am willing to share. I am actually hunting up here this year.

Rick

Good Luck guys finding places to go. I can understand landowners a bit. When geese became popular, people would follow them out of town see them land in my field, then I turned away 74 vehicles for opening morning, we kept track because it was unreal. The closer to town the worse it is. Now with about 100 turkeys on my land, same thing, getting bombarded with requests and phone calls. And now after all this rain etc., I leave my dirt driveway off limits,only use the tar, it now has deep ruts that guess who has to fix,the people I talk to or my wife we steer them back out the tar, but people are coming over when we are not home and my driveway is a mess, it got so crazy I don't even want to go to the door anymore, I need a sign at the driveway's end that says no turkey or geese here. But, it isn't so bad in places and I wish you all the luck in the world.

Musky, its one thing if you are getting bombarded just as a landowner but when these guys put in for the landowner drawing so they have a better chance at a tag and then don't let anyone hunt. That's [PoorWordUsage], the rules are the rules. If you don't want to let people hunt, put in for the landowner preference and draw like the rest of us. There are enough tags now that putting in for landowner seems silly. My dad is eligible but he doesn't do it, since he/we don't want to "have to" let others on the property.

There's too many that want to have their cake and eat it too.

Right on john, I hear ya how some abuse the landowner permit situation. It was really my own fault I didn't put saw horses up and block that driveway off, I figured who would want to put there vehicle through that mess, maybe some disgruntled hunters. These geese and now turkeys can easily be seen from the road and word travels that hey, there is a bunch of them at Musky Buck's. Didn't realize how popular turkey hunting was getting. I have noticed just this week the Toms seem to be splitting up, not seeing them together as much, loners. Good luck finding a place, I wish the landowner license people would act in good faith, I'm sure most do, but the ones turning people away saying they already have hunters when they don't is just another reg. gettin abused.

You shouldn't have to put up saw horses, but what do you do, signs? Crappy situation that your drive is getting messed up. We have always had woods so we have never gotten tons of door knocks.