• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

i have seen a few caught off the piers by the lift bridge, but they seem very few and far between. But when they are caught there, they are big.

the whole south shore is full of them, also alot between bayfield and ashland

Are there browns in Superior? never caught one

Yes there are but few and far between, unless you can target them in specific areas like Northlander, Walleyehunter, or hound suggested. (Which I learned from this thread.)

A charter captain told me they might catch 2 of them per year while trolling for lakers.

Steve

In 15 plus years of trolling the South Shore I have never caught a brown. Even in front of the Brule.

Just in the Brule.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The hot pond by the bridge. Plenty of brown in there...

Yeah a few sneak through but its best to wait for a hard rain.

They tend to run in the streets.

If you're up for a drive, you can find some browns in some inland trout lakes up by Finland.

The state record brown was caught in superior. If they are as rare as you guys say that makes that guy twice as lucky (obviously the state record being the other half). I thought chequamegan bay was a good brown trout producer? Anyway, only brown trout I've ever caught in the superior watershed is a tiny little guy in the kadunce creek many years ago. I've heard there are runs of browns in the cloquet from fish living in the st. louis, any truth to this?

I think it's just that people are getting a bit caught up in their own definitions of Lake Superior. Browns aren't commonly found in the cold reaches of the main lake, but are targeted in some tributary streams along the south shore, and of course Chequamegon Bay as JB said is well known for browns.

The areas just outside the river mouths are part of the lake, and Chequamegon is part of the lake, so for sure there sometimes are excellent numbers of browns in the lake, but apparently not in the main lake proper, which explains why charters rarely encounter them.

scan0005.jpgWe have luck on stickbaits on the breakwall north side of Superior entry and off crocodile spoons behind dipsies out in the lake. Labor day weekend a few years ago the entry was hot. Hans

Just the one on the right, but it's a beauty. Check out the square tail. It had a lot more color before it went on ice. This was the only boat picture I had of it, showing Barkers Island and the area we caught it. I have other pics from that weekend, but the fish are piled on the floor of the boat and not as tastefull.

I also recomend a jointed Rapala in orange trolled behind a planer board. Hold the rod and work breakwall off of Barkers by letting line out or realing line in to get the board as close to the wall as you dare without snagging. Hans

I hear there's a hot run right now at all overflow stations. There's so many, browns are just rising out of the ground and attempting to float their way back to the lake...

Ahhh, browns....

10EriksBrownTroutBruleRiver10-08.jpg

Very Nice pic. That's what happens when a few people on Brule opener let those 20 inchers go rather then feeling a need to go home with their limit.

Browns are ok but I would take a Coho 1st, then a Looper and then a Brown with a Laker next. Never ate a steelie.

I just love pics of them Big Browns with all the color in the spots. If I ever get a big hook jaw and some nice spots and color Ill get some nice pics and have a replica made.

Thanks guys. That fish was a Fatty McFatster. Yeah, let some of those go, the brownies keep dropping on the Brule, under 3000 last fall...

You guys are confusing an inland species, the brown crappy, with the anadromous brown spout. The brown spout usually can be found near marinas and sanitary discharges. (Why do the call them "sanitary", when they are decidedly unsanitary, anyway?)

You can get into dynamite brown fishing along the south shore from the end of April thru mid May. Stickbaits, especially purple and/or perch colors seem to do especially well. There are several good ramps east of the Brule river where smaller boats can easily be launched. Morning seems to be the key. After about 9:00am, the bite stops.