• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any body going to hit stony for some trout on the opener. How has it been for the last couple of years? Dont have to give away secret spots but is it worth fishing? I would like to try it out any info would be great?

Josh,

Stoney has been a bit slow in the last couple years...that or once I got my boat I wasn't shorebound maybe impacted my results. It's a wonderful little river and probably one of my top 5 to fish so. That being said you can catch a few, usually at opener depending on the season it will be overrun with Suckers. Which are quite fun to get, and offer a great battle on ultralight tackle.

Please make sure to practice Catch and Release as all these trout are natural in there.

suckers are tons of fun! catching both trout and suckers on the UL would be an AMAZING day

• 4 weeks later...

I am new to the area (family purchased a cabin last fall) and am interested in fishing Stony Brook. I've heard that the best fishing takes place south of County Road 29. My question is where is the best place to access the stream? Is there public land? Do you need to park and walk in? I'm not looking for specific fishing spots, but looking for help in accessing the water.

I will be at the cabin next weekend and plan on giving it a try them. Thanks in advance for any advice.

JBZ your lookin for frits loven park. if your comein north on 371 you take 77 at the intsection with holiday on your left. go a few miles past zorbas and bridge to 78 on right go over another bridge to ridge road on right fallow it until you see signs. barbless hookes and brookes got to be released there to county road 29.

Thanks Walleye365, I was able to find the roads you talked about on a map. I will report back with how I do.

no problem proably see ya there. goin tomarrow to see what happens. sunday 1 10in brookie was it seen another im thinkin brown it had to be 20in sitting by a rock couple cast it woundnt hit then i spooked some suckers and it was gone. sunday i also seen a bear not a huge one soon as it seen me it was gone witch was a good thing.

any body have a good report from stony yet this year? Was thinking of trying it on monday

• 2 weeks later...

just got back caught and released 3 brookies 13.5,12 and 6 in fish. was almost goin to give up on that stream.

jpz i here ya but you really got to work for them and theres only a few that will do that. unless you know something i dont

I haven't hit any brookies that big in a long time. But you are right you do need to work for them. Were you fly or Spin gear?

spin gear my fly skills need some more work before i try it in there. what do you usually use. a fly rod would be a blast. it was a good day today.

I generally hit it with a short UL as when you get further up it tends to get really skinny. Yeah I haven't been back since opener, just haven't had great weather....that and time.

ya i found that out yesterday but still a good day i use 6ft ML it does get in the way at times. hopen for a brown soon its pretty addicting.

If you want to try and fish it sometime maybe we can meet up on the river if you like. I am surprised by the number of brookies vs Browns this year.

sounds good im open for that let me know when. iv only seen one brown and it wouldnt bite on what i had at the time, but i think the new system i got goin would of sealed the deal.this weekend i will be after eyes. the rest of this week or next sometime would work for me. im layed off so times not a problem for me.

jpz is the stream from frizs to hwy 29 in a dnr easment looks like it on the map that i got off the website.

Most of the Stretch from Fritz to Miners Corner (hwy 29) has easements. I'll have to check my schedule and of course weather maybe we can fish it some evening here.

• 1 month later...

I will be hitting Stony Brook this weekend, probably Saturday. Just wondering how poeple have been doing. Never fished this before, what should I try? Spinners, bobbers, flys? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, should I bring my waders or can you fish from shore?

Thanks,