• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Handheld radios range?

Random guy

Question

I am kicking around new hand held radios for our hunters just as a safety back-up. What kind of range are we seeing on these things in this day and age?

I'm talking Northern MN cedar swamps range.

14 answers to this question

Can't remember where I read it, I think Field and Stream, they did a real world test on a bunch of them. It didn't matter what the advertised range was they worked for about 6 miles in wooded terrain. This was in GMRS mode, in FRS mode, my personal experience is less than 1/2 mile range in the woods and maybe a mile or two over water. We use Garmin Rhino's while hunting and fishing and they are nice but FRS really limits you to those close to you. Hope this helps

I have a set of old out-backs. I have tried to replace them many times with a better more powerful set. Each time I tried a different set advertised to be stronger and better, I ended up returning them. About all I can tell you is I have a hunting cabin on 80 acres of heavy woods. It is a quarter mile wide and half a mile long. When I am on the back edge I can on most days talk to the wife in the cabin. There is also a little lake that I fish on that can put the range out to a mile. Most days I can carry on a good conversation at that range over water. For me the best is just using the cell phone. May not be an option for you. Anyway that's about all I can share.

WS

Can't remember where I read it, I think Field and Stream, they did a real world test on a bunch of them. It didn't matter what the advertised range was they worked for about 6 miles in wooded terrain. This was in GMRS mode, in FRS mode, my personal experience is less than 1/2 mile range in the woods and maybe a mile or two over water. We use Garmin Rhino's while hunting and fishing and they are nice but FRS really limits you to those close to you. Hope this helps

On the GMRS channels, I have had conversations up to 2 miles with them. This is the best I have done. Reliable range has been 1.5 miles on the ice/water.

For what you are looking for, the GMRS units might cut it. I've used the GMRS channels elk hunting, and they work to about a mile - but the terrain is the limiting factor.

Well that was a thought anyways. My hunters are spread out to far for that. Trouble we are having is Att, T-Mobile, Sprint etc does not work in this area and I am not real tipped over about buying a bunch of trac phones.

My boys as a gift from parents got a set of Midland GXT900VP4 42-Channel 30-Mile Range 2-Way Radios. I have not gone over a couple miles yet, but they do come in on flat land, threw woods and stuff. They claim in a "line of sight" range is up to 30 miles. The battery life is pretty good and they come with the needed charger and accessories.

They are GMRS 42 channel. I did not know they needed a license to operate them grin.

About these two way GMRS radios. how does the license thing work. Doe you need a license to activate them, or how does anybody know if you have the required license, and what would happen if you were to use them without.Who are you required to get a license from. I have never used the GMRS radios, just the FRS. Thanks in adv. for filling me in here

Geez talk about timing. Just got my new Field and Stream and one of the articles is about radios. Excellent explanation, almost exactly as BobT has laid out. Effective range while elk hunting was about 2 miles in the mountains and woods. Over water or plains would be more or from top of mountain to base etc. As I remember from school many, many years ago the horizon is 11 miles away so 11-12 miles would be most over water. As far as the license, its $75.00 for 5 years and no one I know has ever bothered to get one.

I have some that claim up to 8 miles.

what type of hunting? I do believe that its illeagal to use two way radios for deer hunting in minnesota. check the regs., or talk to a CO first.

I do not believe it is illegal to have in possession or use two-way radios while hunting BUT it is illegal to use them for the taking of game. The same is true for cell phones.

Quote:

Radios and Other Wireless Devices

• Using walkie talkies, cell phones, remote control or other radio equipment to take big game or small game is unlawful.

• A DNR permit is required to take unprotected animals with the

aid of radio equipment, see page 25.

It is true that the FCC licensing for GMRS is rarely enforced. My guess is that most likely it would be nearly impossible and too expensive. With such a minimal transmitting range, to actually hear transmissions means they would have to be within just a couple miles of the location of the users. Because the position of the users is likely very mobile, tracking them down would be difficult in most cases and not worth the expense. Just my guess though.

Bob

I have some basic Midland radios, advertised range up to 8 miles. We use them as backup for Hunting, in case one of us needs help, and we have talked through the woods back to our cabin at a distance of 3 full miles, clear as day. I think they were $59 for the pair. Battery must be fully charged though, and set on the "high" power mode

I have some Midland 26 or 30 mile range radios that have been tested up to 8 miles and worked great. They were from Gander and came in a pack of 2 with chargers, headsets, etc.

I have Midland GMRS radios that are marketed for 18Miles!! While hiking in woods and swampland the best we ever get is about 1.5Miles and usally starts breaking up at 3/4Mile in heavy woods and bog country. I applied for my GMRS license and the licese is good for 5-years. Although many people use GMRS without the license...If you are operating in GMRS mode without the licesne the FCC can legally hunt you down, fine you and shut you down.